A Poem About Mom | Teen Ink

A Poem About Mom

May 8, 2014
By AlliArsevell BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
AlliArsevell BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.


I don't know how to see with my heart

I've relied on my eyes to reassure me.

She went away from me, away from my life. And now all I can do is look back on the shallow memories from when she was still here.

But I won't let this experience ruin me

It's sliced me, burned me, shot me, made me bleed, but I refuse to let it ruin me.

I am not perfectly fine, but I am not ruined

Instead, I will let it make me stronger.

So I stand in front of the world today, and announce myself, not as a young girl without her mother. Why? Because she's right there.

Not in front of me, not behind me, nor to my left, or to my right.

She is not above me, or below me.

She is inside of me, living in her death through my steady heart beat.

The memory of her is forever burned in my skull. the flame that imprinted the scar in my memory is all a want.

She is in a well of memories so deep, that if you were to drop a penny in it, there would be so sound. Because it has no bottom.

It will go on for an everlasting eternity, and I will never forget her.

-Antiah T (AKA Alli Arsevell), May 8, 2014


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this short poem in commemoration of my mother when I realized that writing was (a): my natural talent and something that I exceed in, and (b): it always made me feel better. Whether it was writing about a personal experience, or an essay for school, writing has always been something that made me feel better about myself, and it seemed to alleviate whatever stress I had.