Orbit. | Teen Ink

Orbit.

By TalyaGelfand DIAMOND, Bronx, New York
TalyaGelfand DIAMOND, Bronx, New York

Something that comes easy, won't last. Something that lasts, won't come easy.

Today you didn't even talk to me. When you finally looked my way, you lifted your index finger. And I didn't know fingertips carried weights but the weight on that finger you tried to lift, seemed to be too heavy even for the muscles that make up your arm.
I watched you while you were laughing as your friend cut open a milk carton he noticed sitting across the room. And I watched your ominous eyes as they watched every person that crossed your path but they never seemed to even skim across my eyes; but my teary eyes were locked on your jaw as it moved in a tight, vertical motion. And I watched your lips as they pursed to create a bubble with the oxygen that travels through your veins, and I wished to be there. ?I wished to be the gum kept in between your teeth and wrapped around your tongue with your oxygen blowing me up until I popped with the feeling of your lips. I wished to be the oxygen that ran through your veins helping you breathe.
And I think it's funny how I constantly feel a need for coffee and you always chew that Orbit you love. Because you are like my coffee, providing me with the caffeine I crave, helping me run. And I am the gum you chew; kissing me with your tongue as your teeth tear me apart, losing flavor until you throw me out.