Who Are You | Teen Ink

Who Are You

By DearListener GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
DearListener GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

"Dogs are not allowed in the dog park. Humans are not allowed in the dog park. Do not approach the dog park."
-The Nightvale City Council

Who are you to say suicide is the cowards way out? The people living perfect lives, with perfect grades, perfect houses, perfect cars, and perfect families.

Who are you to say suicide is for the weak? You, who has never felt pain like we have You, who lives without a care in the world. The people who thrive in the sunshine, while we are left alone in the darkness.

Who are you to say that we're being selfish? The people who are too inconsiderate to thing of how we feel. The people who voice their opinions at us without thinking about it.

Who are you to say we're different? We are no different than you or your neighbors. We live, work, and study with you, your children and your friends.

Who are you to say we are imperfect, or that we can't change? But more importantly, who are we? We are the people who choose to stand out, We are the ones who start small, but then thrive as one. We are not weak, we are strong for living through the pain. We are not cowards, as we brave our days, knowing the oncoming waves of insults and taunts. We aren't selfish, we are generous for not striking back at you when we should be. We are afraid, lonely, misunderstood.

And yes, we are imperfect. But then again, so are you.

on Apr. 21 2014 at 11:22 pm
Nella.Girl97 BRONZE, Ashland, Wisconsin

"Keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart."

Love this! Great choice of words and message! Keep writing!!

on Apr. 18 2014 at 12:31 pm
Lostfriend SILVER, Boone, Iowa

Why are you choosing to be angry?

great job i love it