Pledge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

From this point forward
I will not stand
to be unhappy
any longer.
I will not stand
to be broken down,
broken apart,
broken-hearted.
From this point forward
my success does not depend
on my waistline
and my strength does not depend
on my weakness.
My biggest fear is not
the nutrition label.
From this point forward
I will not worry those
who love me.
I will not look at those
with hip bones
and rib cages
and be jealous.
I will not be afraid
to eat the birthday cake
you made me.
I will not measure
every morsel as if
any more would make
it poison.
From this point forward
food is not my enemy
and Ana is not my friend.
Size zero is not beautiful
and 90 pounds is not ideal.
I am no longer
enslaved by my scale
and it is not an awful day
when I weigh enough
to donate blood.
From this point forward
the only things coming
out of my mouth will be
words.
I will no longer be called
Disgraceful,
Disgusting,
Distasteful.
From this point forward
I am
Inspired,
Indestructable,
Independent.

LetMeFeel said...
Amazing! I accidentally rated it a 4 because of my toub screen phone. You and everyone else who has read it knows that it deserves beyond a 5. Keep it up.

eliana924 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great poem! I really like how you started it with "from this point forward" so from the first moment the reader wonders what happened.

Alana11 said...
Amazing. It's really inspiring!! Thankyou so much!

StephY95 said...
this is  a great poem it real says alot about beauty and how not juss skinny people are beautiful.......beauty comesin every shape and size

Esraa said...
this poem is amazing and its standing up for what they believe, it has a great message to everybody !

Schuyler said...
Your poem is amazing as well as your theme . Your theme sounds to me that its about accepting  your image and you don't need to be 90 pounds to feel great about yourself .

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wonderful poem about self image and how it should not make us so crazy or obsessed about our appearance. Raising one's self esteem is the way to go! Great job~

mariahstokes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 8:39 am:
i think i've read this now five times. It's wonderful and means a lot to me becasue I feel that way pretty much every day. I would be extreamly happy if you read some of my stuff, and keep on writing!

writingmagic26 said...
You really are Independent, Indespructable, and most definately Inspired.  I absolutely adore this poem, and you inspired me to make my own pledge.  I want to live healthy, but sometimes go to extremes, or if I eat sweets, feel bad the rest of the day.  You've inspired me to change!

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Great work! I know I'm just another voice in the crowd, but wow, this is great! This is just my thought - I would personally like if the two ending words were reversed so that indestructable would be the final word.

Thank you for sharing this, it's amazing :) Hope I can receive some feedback for my work, I could use it!!

LRS14 said...
This poem, was brilliant and true. One of my favorites(:

PrincessBubblegum said...

Words can not express how much I love this poem. I relate to it so much and it is so very well done. You are fabulous and this was beautiful. I would love for you to read some of my stuff, it would be an honour truly.

OgdenTor said...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:52 am:

This is such a true poem!

wonderful i loved it.

musicloveswritting16 said...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:37 am:

This pome means alot to me, and reading it was a joy. i understand the meaning because ive been there. every single word of this writting speaks the truth. every single one. dont stop writting...youve got talent:) i amire how you were able to put voice to such painful and dejected topics...i loved everything about it...thank you. this has become part of my 'pledge.' :) <3

EnigmaticBeing said...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:18 am:
This poem is truly inspirational and pulchritudinous (the best substitute for beautiful). I only hope that this poem that you've written will aid those who have similar life struggles, and I pray that you continue to presevere through life with the the strength and courage depicted in this poem.

Duckie430This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is my third time commenting on this poem, but I just had to come back one more time to say once again how much this poem has impacted my life more than anything else I've ever read. In my last comment, I said that I had printed out this poem to have to read when I needed it, & since then, I've shared this poem with my therapist, as well as girls from my eating disorder support group & girls I've met in my several hospitalizations, including a hosptialzation just this September-Octob... (more »)

sarah.s This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 18, 2011 at 7:49 am :
That means... so, so, SO much to me. I'm overjoyed that this poem, which I wrote during my own recovery from anorexia, is still impacting people today, four years later. I, too, am from the RI area, and it's wonderful to hear that my work may be helping the lives of people I know. I so truly hope you're doing well; we are all beautiful, no matter our size, shape, color, etc. "Me" (by which I mean, YOU!) is  the most beautiful thing you can be! Stay strong, beautiful, inspired, indestructibl... (more »)

SANDY94 said...
GREAT JOB.... I HAVE A FRIEND DAT REALLIE GOT ISPIRED THANKZ TO THIS... =)

Whatreallymatters said...
Truly Inspiring and extremel helpful to all those out there who are struggling.

Ada D. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! This was so great...so inspiring to hear you speak so candidly with the reader.