Pledge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

From this point forward
I will not stand
to be unhappy
any longer.
I will not stand
to be broken down,
broken apart,
broken-hearted.
From this point forward
my success does not depend
on my waistline
and my strength does not depend
on my weakness.
My biggest fear is not
the nutrition label.
From this point forward
I will not worry those
who love me.
I will not look at those
with hip bones
and rib cages
and be jealous.
I will not be afraid
to eat the birthday cake
you made me.
I will not measure
every morsel as if
any more would make
it poison.
From this point forward
food is not my enemy
and Ana is not my friend.
Size zero is not beautiful
and 90 pounds is not ideal.
I am no longer
enslaved by my scale
and it is not an awful day
when I weigh enough
to donate blood.
From this point forward
the only things coming
out of my mouth will be
words.
I will no longer be called
Disgraceful,
Disgusting,
Distasteful.
From this point forward
I am
Inspired,
Indestructable,
Independent.

scenesoccerqueen said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:23 pm:
Very inspirational and true!!!!! I am so glad you've changed your outlook and this is a great poem also! Keep writing!

Moee1 replied...
Mar. 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm :
please go check out my poetry PLZ

julialove94 said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:10 pm:
Absolutely amazing. This was so powerful, so true, so inspiring. I love it! Thank you for writing this

matt.bullen said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm:
THAT WAS AMAZINGLY POWERFUL!!!

AngRodrig This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm:
This was amazing and inspiring! Truly a pledge for all teenage girls. Please check out my poem "The Social Network (The Modern Monster)" !

WhatislibertyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm:
how inspirational!!

White_Trash843 said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 4:12 am:
Great Job and congrats on the mag!!! you have talent keep writing..!

Ella1 said...
Wow, this is really good. One of my close friends had an eating disorder. I understand what you went through. It takes a lot of guts to come out about it and decide that you are going to change once and for all. Would you mind reading my poem A Portal, Pink Watch, and Perpetual Sea if you get a chance? Thank you so much and keep writing

Lashonti said...
This was really good. You can hear the stength in your poem. Keep up thee good work =)

Snowi said...
Well, don't we all need a starting point to be us? I love this. and i take it as insparation to be who i am. thanks. i owe you one or 100

babysteps said...
I love this! It is so well written, I can really relate to what your saying! Great Job!

kairi.kaylynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 12, 2012 at 9:48 am:
This was really good. It really shows what a lot of people think and do now a days just because they're afraid of what others will think.

chrissie_star said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:30 am:
great poem check out mine? 'been there done that'

DJEldritchPrince said...
Good poem. This definitely deserved to be in the mag. Imma favorite this.

sparkieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i. love. this.

sarah.s This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You may absolutely use my poem, just as long as you credit me :) Best of luck and thank you for your support!

JaneCapelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 4:38 pm :
Yay! Thanks! :D and i swear on my life that i will credit you. :) i would never forgive myself if i copyrighted something...thanks, you too, and i would love if you could check out my work!

JaneCapelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 10:44 am:
This poem is really, reallyyy good. In my school, we're doing this year-long project about a social issue we chose....my topic is body image (like being negative about how you look) and i was wondering, for my presentation, could i use your poem as either a pledge about body image, a motto, or just to read it aloud? (not sure which yet.) I would give you full credit and i wont copyright anything. Please respond soon, thanks! =)

shmam7624 said...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 10:28 am:
I love this poem. It's raw and beautiful in it's own way and definitely deserves to be in the magazine. Congratulations!

Missundrstoodx2 said...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:43 am:
this hurts; and by that i mean it provokes emotion, which is what poetry should do...and you've done so successfully. but i mean it hurts, you introduce what you've been going through as well as overcoming it and i'm sure this is an inspiration for many. in fact...i'm going to show it to a friend who may need it more than me right now...good work

JuneTaz said...
From the defiant and bold lines to it's touching theme, I must say, you know how to write POWER! This is incredibly inspiring. Keep on being independent!