Pledge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

From this point forward
I will not stand
to be unhappy
any longer.
I will not stand
to be broken down,
broken apart,
broken-hearted.
From this point forward
my success does not depend
on my waistline
and my strength does not depend
on my weakness.
My biggest fear is not
the nutrition label.
From this point forward
I will not worry those
who love me.
I will not look at those
with hip bones
and rib cages
and be jealous.
I will not be afraid
to eat the birthday cake
you made me.
I will not measure
every morsel as if
any more would make
it poison.
From this point forward
food is not my enemy
and Ana is not my friend.
Size zero is not beautiful
and 90 pounds is not ideal.
I am no longer
enslaved by my scale
and it is not an awful day
when I weigh enough
to donate blood.
From this point forward
the only things coming
out of my mouth will be
words.
I will no longer be called
Disgraceful,
Disgusting,
Distasteful.
From this point forward
I am
Inspired,
Indestructable,
Independent.

apurplechick said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 7:59 am
beautiful....simply said

pnkninja11 said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 7:54 am
I understand how you feel. I think almost every girl cares about her body image. As I've gotten older I have learned to love myself. I'm glad you did too!

bilbogirl said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 6:14 am
This is an amazingly inspirational poem. Having never experianced anorexia, I don't know exactly how you feel. However, I can feel the hope and joy that radiates from this poem. Well done, five stars :D

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:43 am
I know I've commented on this before, but I have to come back to this poem because it has probably touched me more than anything else I've ever read. Having been anorexic myself for years and still dealing with it, this assures me that life is better without my eating disorder, because right now I'm still stuck in the mindset that "Ana" is still my friend & I can't part from starving myself. When I first read this poem when it was first published two years ago, I printed it out to keep in my... (more »)

sarah.s This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I am so incredibly flattered that my poem has had such an impact on your life. Stay strong, beautiful!

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:04 am
Thank you, & please keep writing! :)

Kupcake said...
this is truly amazing, and imspirational. it should be shown to children around the world(:

dolphin13 said...
I really love this poem! It should be posted all over the world!

the_recreational_spiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 7:40 am
amazing poem

shreya756 said...
Inspiring :0

BitterSweet1993 said...
Absolutely astounding. it's beautiful. and classy. it gives strength s whole new meaning

leafy said...
thanks for writing this. its a great poem.

JayRayy said...
Wow, I think this is beautiful. You've might of just inspired me to stop all this nonsense with starving myself, and being all pro ana.... thank you. <3 Really, thank you. You're a life saver, and a great writer, by the way, I'm glad you're no longer a slave to Ana anymore too! <3 For Ana is not our friend, she is our enemy in reality. <3

Keli123 said...
i love this. its really good. i love how you could let us know so mch about eating disorders with even saying the words. keep writting :)

bluevampire said...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 8:53 am
that was so awesome..............Really nice

Annerdy said...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 3:27 am
This was just breathtakingly amazing. I've dealt with eating disorders before, so it really touched me deep within my heart. Who knew words could simply be arranged to express such thoughtful messages? I absolutely loved it.

LauraAshley said...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 12:53 am
this is absolutely beautiful.

forgottenpenname This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Such a great poem! I feel like we all should take this pledge haha. :)

writingrox2 said...
This is absolutely beautiful and inspiring. The ending makes me almost want to cry. Love it!

bandagedisappear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is so beautiful in its simplicity. I love it.