Everything Beneath This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

“we have yet to break the surface”
I whispered
after hours of scratching the stars away
from the sky with my fingertips
to cusp them inside of my hands
and feel their light.

I had every intention of stripping
the darkness from the night –
of pulling the constellations away
from their imprints within the atmosphere
to reveal Him

because years ago,
Father had told me that
“God is in everything”

and from then on,
I chose to move my body gently and eat slowly,
to swallow Eucharist
in the smallest of pieces
and nibble timidly around

the cores of peaches in the case that
He was within its pit, and
whenever I close my lips –
I can feel Him extend His legs,
pinned in all directions beneath my tongue,
shaping my words from biblical psalm,
pulling sin in strands of prayer
from the lining of my throat …

I can always feel him,
not heavy of a burden
but wise,
spread evenly about my skin,
in everything I see and touch …

holding Him, the stars, my pulse,
parts of Him,
inside my hand
realizing that no battle had ever
been fought and won alone.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the December 2008 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Aristine said...
Sept. 21, 2010 at 12:01 am:
This is a beautiful, lovely poem. Your imagery is wonderful and the way you phrase things is unique and interesting. I particularly love the opening stanza. It certainly deserves to be in the print.

Kimberlie Regina said...

I love how you wrote a poem about God.

It is so inspirational. Stunning.

Keep it up, God bless you.

windryder said...
this was amazing. i'm stunned with how good that poem was. you have serious skill. a natural talent.

mollydog said...
This is the kind of skill  that pushes me to stop and look over my work to make it better.the way you take words like "scratching the stars away" you just make them flow like there ment too be!!! i love it. keep it flowing :)

Hoping4never said...
I think its amazing how youve managed to keep your feeling and words flowing evenly. My greatest downfall is that I can not seem to let it flow clearly its like all my thaughts and feeling are not complete. Breakage. I really enjoyed this, I cant explain why but it gives me great thaughts. "truly the Lord is in this place"

LuvKirstyn14 said...
Amazing poem, keep it up! plz check out my work, it would be highly appreciated! :)

Luckycharms said...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 6:41 pm:
THIS WAS SO GOOD!! COMMENT ON MY POEMS TOO :)

Gmmantone said...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 7:15 am:
I love the definitions of god you use in this. It really made me see things in a different light. 

-daydreamer- said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 2:07 pm:
Amazing. Heart-stopping. Wow. Really, all your poems are just so wonderful and emotional and thoughtful and real. I am so jealous of you right now, I wish I had your way with words. Do not stop writing! =)

coly33 said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 7:24 pm:

wow that was verryy emprisive i usually don't like poems like this but i loved this one good job

i loved the first part about the stars and "after hours of scratching the stars away from my fingertips to cusp them inside of my hands and feel their light."  absoloutly amazing an dinspiring

:)

xBaByGiRrL22xThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm:
beautifully written. plz keep writing

kookymnstr said...
May 27, 2010 at 9:44 pm:

I absolutely love this poem!

samphantom96 said...
May 27, 2010 at 7:38 pm:

the tittle of this poem made me write my own thax for the inssparation

demetria said...
May 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm:
i really enjoyed the beginning.  towards the end i felt that it was somewhat getting lost because your closing mentioned " realizing that no battle had ever been fought and won alone" this kind of confused me because in the beginning you never gave the reader a since of battle and or struggle. Try to show(don't tell) the reader that the character is going through something. it doesn't have to be a large description but something small to give the reader a chance to understand the pain/struggle.

possiblylindsey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 2:14 pm :
can you not just accpet that this poem is good?? just let off with the criticism and just say "hey, good job." jeez.

abetterme replied...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm :
did i ask what you THINK i should say? huh? no i don't believe i did. now you stick with your "hey, good job" and i will say what i feel should be said. thankyou!(NOT)

hellosea replied...
Sept. 5, 2010 at 9:31 pm :
I think it's seriously ridiculous the way you guys reacted to the comment. why in the world should someone 'keep critisism' to themselves? as a writer, we need to learn to appreciate critique, allowing us to become better writers. demetria wrote a nice, polite comment on an awesome poem that stated something i was unsure about, and you snapped at her for being a jerk, which she/he was NOT. so what is this...say something good or say nothing at all?

DaddiesDoodle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 19, 2010 at 3:46 pm :
well i just started writing and i think it was wonderful and unless your a major in peotry get of thier back! it was great!

MillionGreenDroplets This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm :
It seems like all the comments on this website are about how great things are and if anyone gives the slightest bit of criticism people get angry at them. That's not good. How can you grow as a writer without a healthy dose of critique? If someone told me what was wrong with my poems I would thank them wholeheartedly. Lighten up, people.

hello.beautiful said...
May 9, 2010 at 8:57 am:
beautiful