Just to Let You Know This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Your butchering words
In the beginning
Went through my head
As a child who listens
To every word you say

Your constant sarcasm
Your words which
I thought were the truth
The never giving up

Just to let you know, Dad
Those butchering words
To me are now worthless
For I know now
It was only your sickness

AdultSwimThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm:

WHY IS EVERY POPULAR 'POEM' ABOUT TEENAGE ANGST?

It should be about creativity, not venting!

Allicsirp replied...
May 11, 2011 at 4:34 pm :
I see your point but venting can definitely open up creativity in a person

AdultSwimThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm :
Yes. Venting can cause creativity. That's indubitable. But for it to be the source of an entire poem? And a popular one, at that? Nah. Poems are about purports and creativity, not about your father or your ex-boyfriend. I'm really disgusted that those types of poems are what people prefer to read nowadays. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm offering a realistic perspective. Well, in most peoples' perspective, yes, I'm just being rude. It needed to be said.

Allicsirp replied...
May 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm :
Yeahh you are being pretty rude, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinions… :/

Zildjian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 3:23 am :

Although this conversation is well off the beautiful poem at hand, I would like to direct you to the well-acclaimed and heavily anthologized Sylvia Plath, most especially to her poem entitled Daddy. 

Sid Vicious, James Hetfield, Johnny 5, and Tim MicIlrath (to list off contemporary and extremely popular writers) also stand alongside this (only somewhat) modern trend in poetry to write from frustration, often as a form of catharsis. Exposing sources of violence is an important step... (more »)

FreakyEyed This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 12:37 pm :
Not only that, but who are you to proclaim what poetry ought to be?

Poetry has no limits. Poetry is the hair-tangle of our minds, our most secret feathers. It is a quiet story that we choose to share. And you should never, ever insult a gift as precious as that.

Cady_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 2:47 am :
I agree that poetry has no limits as well and that it should never be judged.

xXprettybrowneyesXx said...
ohmygosh. this is just like my dad. he is constantly dragging me down. making me feel like every word he has to say that is wrong about me is true  and of course im only a child im fifteen so i always believe it . my whole childhood i thought i was ugly mainly because he said so. now, becasue of you i understand that i wasnt then one who was ugly , it was him who was.

DaniKira said...
There is not a single word in this poem that doesn't directly relate to my father; I connected. Love it.

C.Michelle1295 said...
I like this poem. If you read my work, its all about my dad. This poem touched me.

HannSawyer17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow... I loved this. Your writing style is so simple yet... so amazing. Haha how long have you been writing? Mind checking out some of my writing?

bbcly123 said...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 9:45 am:
it was very well written you did not jump into a bunch of different ideas but slowly shifted to one another. i like that i like that.

BeccaLeigh13 said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm:
Very well writen i love the power that is behind each word.

Aderes18 said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:17 am:
This is a very powerful poem! :)

Athena95 said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:34 am:
This is a awesome poem I luv it

Jesshado said...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 9:07 pm:
I've been there, too. Amazing imagery though, and I like how the end is sort of empowering in a way. Good work. :)

elephantanni said...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm:
Teen Ink is honestly amazing. I'm probably the only one of my friends who thinks reading poems for hours is more fun than watching YouTube videos. 

Alyse This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm :
I definately agree with that. :D

bieberl0ve15 replied...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm :
Me too...this website is great!

GinaRamram replied...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm :

I HATE Justin Bieber so please dont tell me you love him!

bieberl0ve15 replied...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm :
I LOVE Justin Bieber so please don't tell me you hate him!