Return Policy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

With a sales receipt, a full refund of any emotional attachment in the original form of payment will be issued from any lover for the return of new or unused teddy bears, chocolates, flowers, bracelets, and company on cold January Friday nights at a moment's notice when no other plans could be had within (i) 14 days of gifting from a sweetheart or (ii) 14 days of deciding necklaces and perfume are not the intended gifts. A store credit for the original amount will be issued for (i) signs of affection given less than 7 days prior to the date of return, (ii) when a gift receipt is

Ignore my empty bitterness

presented within 60 days of purchase, (iii) knowledge of the curve of a shoulder blade after a midnight swim, or (iv) proof of attachment was originally conducted elsewhere. Opened big-ticket items may not be returned. They can only be exchanged for the same variety of sexual secret, blackmail photograph, or lovingly chewed-on pencil with attached green gift ribbon from the handle of the tea cup I bought you last spring. Too bad you can't return what matters. Too bad I can't take it back either. Too bad you lost your heart somewhere.
Policy on receipt may appear in two sections.

Ignore my empty bitterness.

Only,I This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 12:44 am
This is great, it's so true.
My favorite line is " Too bad you lost your heart somewhere."
I know how you feel, the bitterness of breaking up with someone you love and not knowing what to do with all the stuff they gave you.

thehaggiseater replied...
Kenlikes, couldnae ye jus sell it on the ebay and such? Thas what we dae in Scotland. Or, likesay, look on the google and find, ken, sommit or some punter, ken wha ken purchase the spoils o' the relationship.

MusicInMyHeart<3 said...
This is awesome. I understand that. Too bad there's not an actual return policy so you're stuck putting in either a) in a box in the back of your closet, b) in the trash, or c) in a fire and watch it burn slowly. This is very relatable too. I think It's great.

thehaggiseater replied...
Like ah says tae 'Only, I': ye can always jus find a punter on the ebay. Ahm no jokin'.

AmnyR said...
a little too bitter for my taste, but its alright

Glenn W. said...
This is a really great poem. The "Ignore my empty bitterness" In the middle is rather distracting. Perhaps you could put it at the end instead? Other than that, this is quite brilliant.

Glenn W. replied...
Ah. Just noticed the one on the end. I mean you should just eliminate the middle one, then.

sedaracapree replied...
i disagree. I like the one in the middle. it makes you pause and realize the point that the author is trying to get across. it catches your attention... well it sure caught mine. great poem. keep writing!

heath replied...
I also like the one in the middle. it makes you stop and think for a second and its a nice quick break from the rest of it. if you were going to take out any, which i dont think you should, i would take out the one at the end

yellowbunny replied...
I think that it is your decition, but I would take out one or the other.

Lover*that*Hates This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 7:17 am
it's bitter, its real, it heartbreaking... I love it! great work! I love the way your mind works.

goddess_of_the_moon_123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
LOVE this idea-- totally creative and different. You writing style is just amazing!

Angelic_Dispair said...
This is ingeniusly creative, I love this so much! Please tell me that this is the ONLY one...:)

shiandra said...
I love this poem its so sweet!

Hallieinthewings said...
I absolutely love your style of writing.
It's unique and enticing.