American eagle

Left wing, right wing.
Both wings needed to fly America’s eagle.
One wing too heavy, the bird will fall,
The subtle balance rules us all.

But of true equality, the world’s incapable,
Liberalistic values nearly inescapable,
Unless you drown yourself in politics,
Shoot your brains out with party policies.

Oh God bless America, land of the free;
God bless the beautiful lies that make us the free.

We fly with the wings of the eagle,
Yet chain ourselves down with useless debate,
Cloaking ourselves with prejudice and hate.

Our eagle flies on the winds of forged acceptance.

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 24 at 11:51 pm:
Hey Olivia (: I don't know if you remember me, or if you still check TeenInk, but I was going over some of my own poems and saw a comment of yours, and it reminded me to try and stop by and say hi, maybe read a new poem of yours. And I'm glad i did (: I think this poem is wonderful in it's message but also in it's powerful execution. The line about how the wings have to be balanced in order to fly really strikes me as a solid metaphor, and I appreciate the unbiased, cohesive quality to this. Yo... (more »)

Krasota-Butterflies-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 2:24 pm :
Thank you! Sorry for not responding for so long; I grew disillusioned with Teenink after a long period of writer's block. However, I do believe I'm going to get back in the habit of writing for this website again. I look forward to reading your poems again! Have a great day :)