You are You. | Teen Ink

You are You.

March 1, 2014
By justkiddinguniversity BRONZE, Palmdale, California
justkiddinguniversity BRONZE, Palmdale, California
1 article 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Its not what it is, its what it can become."
-The Once-Ler


You are the books you read, the films you watch, the music you listen to, the people you meet, the dreams you have, the conversations you engage in, the things you create. You are what you take from these.

You are the sound of the ocean, the breath of fresh air, the brightest light and the darkest corner. You soak it in and leak it out: inspiration. It foams up and spills out of you. It leaks from your fingertips and makes you radiant. Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

You are a living storybook: a collection of every experience you have had in your life. The pages of your book flip as new memories and pictures are added. A wind is rustling the pages. You are a walking movie of flashbacks. You are every single second of every single day. Don't just survive: exist. Try new things and create your version of happiness.

So, drown yourself in a sea of knowledge and existence. Let the words run through your veins and sink into your body. Let the colors fill your mind so they can mix together like melted crayons and let the words inscribe into your skin and help shape you.

The environment is changing, mostly for the worst. You don’t have to be a chameleon and change with it, blend in with it. You can change the environment. It is yours, embrace it and make it yours. So, take yourself deep within the fathoms of knowledge and existence.


The author's comments:
What inspired this piece was I noticed that in high school, everyone tries to follow a certain trend and keep up with the popular people. I stay behind and just do my thing, getting left out. One thing I hope people get from this poem is that you can be you and make a change. You are you for a reason.