Down the Rabbit Hole | Teen Ink

Down the Rabbit Hole

By Silence_is_a_Virtue BRONZE, Orient, Ohio
Silence_is_a_Virtue BRONZE, Orient, Ohio

"There is a darkness in every person, as there is a light, one must only remember to turn it on.."

“You’re Mad.”

Alice touched the cool skin that had since lost its warmth. Lifeless eyed traced her movements, as if still in activity. The pale face no longer held identity, but rather a part in the scene that was unfolding before it. Darkness emanates from the dead, and Alice could feel it, tempting her, just waiting for the moment to strike, to swallow her up and send her tumbling, tumbling..

Menacing smiles appear with no origin and vanish without a trace. A laugh, forsaken by all logical thought, radiates through the trees. Shades of stripes weave in and out, staying long enough to be seen, but not to fall within recognition; there lies the silent stalker among the branches, harmless in manner yet dangerous in tongue.
Worn stone paths lead to roses dripping red, crying tears of crimson. Thunder claps like the blade of a chopping block sending frightened cards away in a shuffle. The queen of Hearts is left up as is she was dictating the turn of events. Her pale white sheen stands complementary to a glistening red.
Farther down the hole comes a very happy unbirthday. A disarray of cups and cakes litters the wooden table. A once pure table covering lay soiled in a heap in the dirt.
Various states of dilapidation had clearly manifested among the participants, affecting more than physical essence. Alice wondered cautiously around these folk, unsure of how not to become ‘mad’. This side of the looking glass was more than the initial anticipation let on.

She’s late, she’s late. The golden pocket watch was in high alert, moving like a jack-rabbit. Tick-tock, tick-tock, thumping hands running ‘round the clock.

Jabbering teeth glued set upon the girl’s movements. She sees monstrous extremities as a deadly shadow.
Questions bounce around, crazed with hysteria, the raven and the writing desk…
And the hatter resounds.

“Welcome to Wonderland”

I've found my white rabbit, have you found yours?