Aspiring This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

(I run.)

With my eyes closed
my hands in fists
blade clenched in
my angry fingers
My skin clings to me
tighter this time around
and I don't know
where I'm going

What if we didn't
chose to be this way?

We weren't there
dancing in circles and
falling in love with
clumsy
half-sunken
boys and girls
with something to prove
with faces crafted of light
knee deep in these waters
and keys to everything
carelessly draped around
their necks

(I stop.)

One too many
That's what everybody said
And I don't think
we'll ever be quite as pretty
as they were
with their diamonds
and clipped wings
We all can't be
the same kind of beautiful
and there won't always
be a story behind these eyes

(I breath.)

Call me foolish
if that's what this is
I'll keep on collecting
the shadows that I find
telling myself that
they were once part of something
that is now mine

So only a fraction of us
escape this skin?
So only some us can fly?

I know.
I think I always have.

(I run.)

chasing_fantasies_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 28 at 2:36 pm:
I am the teacher's assistant for my creative writing class and we were going over this peice. My teacher was confused as for the initial inspiration for this. What was the message you had planned to put out there? We have many theories, but he would like a bit of clarification.

TheMoonStillFollowsMeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 29 at 10:50 pm :
A class was going over my work?! Wow. That just made my flippin year! Anyway, the original inspiration for this piece was the feeling on inadaquacy. Aspiring seemed to be a fitting title because it was like I was stuck in that stage of my life; reaching for something but never getting it. But at the same time my passion (specifically for writing or just for life in general) keeps me "running" even though I might never be good enough...yeah. I dont know. I hope I helped answer your ques... (more »)

chasing_fantasies_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sep. 8 at 2:31 pm :
You're welcome! I love your other work, too, and am looking forward to seeing more.

AleMarquezThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 20 at 10:33 pm:
This was added to my favorites!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...
Feb. 26 at 6:51 am:
This is really beautiful.

411Ellie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 4 at 6:33 pm :
One of my favorites <3