this thing we call a heart

there is nothing
in this room but the pulse
of the candle flame
and your heart

trying to escape out of the
cage I forced it into
wrapping a fist around mine

squeezing
a pain wrought from angry love
is one too numb to be felt.

I could
never
deserve you.

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 8 at 9:47 am
This is beautiful. It's just raw. I know, I've already said this before, but you really do have a talent and greatness in you. I apologize for repeating myself. But I find it so true. :) Thank you so much, for sharing this. :)

Florescente said...
Mar. 1 at 7:34 pm
So lovely!! <3

haley101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 2 at 10:09 am
thanks so very much hun :)

blueolive said...
Feb. 26 at 3:40 pm
wow...we do have very similar writing styles. i love the line about forcing it into a fist around yours. i love when poetry can be short but so effective

Feb. 26 at 8:52 pm
i love that idea too. I played around with haikus a lot as you can see, because my writing before had been so obtuse and long, and it ended up losing meaning. I think short poems are more thought provoking, and more powerful. Thanks for your comment. Honestly, I can't tell you where the idea came from. I just took the metaphor and sort of personified what I felt. 

blueolive replied...
Feb. 27 at 12:10 pm
well i love it because its simple and brings so much meaning to the reader

Feb. 27 at 10:17 pm
thanks dear. as do your pieces.