I Am Not Wild This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am not wild.
I am not wild;
Alone.

Placed among faces
with which I'm acquainted,
I find a time
where I was wild in a pack.

The sun rested and lent
the earth to its cooling brother.
That blind eye looked down on
five wolves, females,
before our prime.
The day was spent in celebration,
as was the night. Paws imprinted soft dirt.
Headlong we raced, young tongues lolling,
youthful eyes absorbing the moon-drowned road ahead.
Crouched behind bushes we lay in waiting.

We waited for the light-filled eyes of
our prey,
speeding ever closer until our battle anthem rose behind us.
We charged, pelts glinting ethereal dances
to the sky.
The car belted an energetic approval.
Startled by the noise, we flee, only to return to the hunt later.

We were not wolves.
Yet wild with our dim dances beside
rural roads,
not to be remembered, nor found again.

Alone. Eyes glint only dimly,
darkened orbs that distract from keen teeth.
Precautioned people skirt left, right.
I crave only the life I live, with the
moon and myself.
Being a wolf, pelt dancing. Being a girl, teeth clenched.
Unconfined. Free. Alone. Dangerous.

Hide_the_tears_with_a_smileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 12:30 pm:
I wanted to say, that after ommitting the first three and versy last line of this poem the piece won the 2013-2014 Telling Room Contest along with a girl from a different school. :)

I_NO_LONGER_BELIEVE said...
Feb. 8 at 10:09 pm:
This is so cute... wish I could write something so good. Poetry is not my thing, it's obviously yours!! You are amazing, keep going!!! <3

Hide_the_tears_with_a_smileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 9 at 8:09 pm :
Thank you so much. I absolutely adore when something I write can make a person smile :). In your comment you mentioned wishing you could write something "so good". I just wanted to tell you that even if you think poetry isn't your thing now it really can be. Previous poems I have posted here are not a hit but it doesn't mean they aren't any good. Writing, whether it be prose, poetry,essays or anything else, should solely make the author happy. That's what makes a piece ... (more »)

jennag4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 7 at 10:22 pm:
great imagery! really powerful and connective  

Feb. 9 at 8:02 pm :
Thank you so much :)