My Friend, Death

He waits for me
Under his dark cloak of time
I see him smiling
Inviting me.

I first saw him three years ago
He appeared in my reflection
My friends, my family, my grades and hobbies
He was everywhere.

I turned and found him in medication bottles
Knives and blades
He waited at the bottoms of bridges
Smiling up at me as my feet began to slip

I saw him on Jon’s arms
The attempt of joining him marked by scars
And the cloaked man’s grasp
Leaving streaks of regret

I saw him on my doctor’s face
As he told me to get surgery
And said those dreadful words
“You have cancer”

I saw him in the hospital
While being fed his pleasure in chemotherapy
His own face so close to mine
His fingers on my throat

My inhales are his exhales
I stare into his empty eyes
The things he has seen, souls he has collected
I would not be one of them

I have seen him too many times
In sixteen years, he has longed for me
And each time I see him beckoning
I smile and walk away

LonglegsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 8:20 am:
Awesome! It's so well-written.

moderndayEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 20 at 10:11 am:
This is great and beautiful. Thank you, for sharing this.

Luv4EverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 15 at 1:49 pm:
Another amazing piece full of emotion

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 21 at 11:59 am:
The last line was very good and powerful. Briliant use of imagery, I could see it playing in my head like a movie. Good job! :D

NobuoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 10 at 8:33 pm:
This is very heart warming

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 22 at 2:50 pm:
This was brilliant. I think I must apologize for coming here so late but really I think in the end the whole wait and then read was completely worth it. And now before saying anything I must ask HAVE you read the Book Thief? I recently read it and it seems to me that whereever I see death I see how That guy would say something of a taunt to our humanish perceptions of him. Also you see he said "I am haunted by humans" however in your poem you've made it out so that it was the other... (more »)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 22 at 2:52 pm :
Okay so you HAVE read it ;) OH and You did have cancer. I actually believed at first that perhaps it was a poem you'd written from someone else's perspective. The being personal makes it all the more amazing. And I can't imagine what you might have had to go through nor am I ever any good at relieving anyone's pain but know that I wish to and this was kind of a hopeless try to do so.

OldYoungOne said...
Mar. 10 at 3:18 pm:
At first I began reading this poem thinking it was another depressing story about well, depression but it really surprised  me towards the end. I like the overall concept of seeing death and not letting that image get to. Very well executed and organized.

Bay_Renee said...
Mar. 8 at 1:15 am:
This is beautiful... Honestly, really wonderfully written and you captured the essence of your topic really well. I absolutely cannot write poetry, but I love reading and studying it, and this piece really struck me. You are very talented- brought tears to my eyes, especially with the last line. It's so quietly powerful- I can't even describe it!

411Ellie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 6 at 6:28 pm:
This poem is utterly amazing! The stanza  "I saw him on Jon’s arms The attempt of joining him marked by scars And the cloaked man’s grasp Leaving streaks of regret" was particularly striking. Don't EVER stop writing! You have a gift! 5/5!!! 

411Ellie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 6 at 6:30 pm :
Did you draw inspiration from The Book Theif?

CanadotasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 6 at 6:48 pm :
Thank you very much! And I don't know. I recently read it and I LOVE that book, so yeah, probably a bit. But thanks again!

ParadisaicallyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 6 at 6:01 pm:
This poem is extremely strong!  I like how vivid it is and I can really feel what is happening.  Great job!!

MegaSockThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 6 at 5:51 pm:
I really love this! "I smile and walk away". I love the defiance in that, despite the looming darkness you keep implying. Great job! 5 stars for hopeful message! :)

EshshahThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 6 at 2:51 pm:
This is so beautiful, yet very chilling. 5 stars :)

SophiaD11 said...
Feb. 26 at 8:21 pm:
I found this poem really beautiful and eye-opening. The line "While being fed his pleasure in chemotherapy" really resonated with me! I applaud your talent!!

Feb. 27 at 7:47 pm :
Thank you so much!!

PixieniumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 15 at 2:52 am:
I just read this and I'm crying. This is perfect, and a very beautiful poem. Thank you so much for writing this.

Feb. 15 at 9:46 am :
Aw, wow, that truly means a lot. I really appreciate that!

FrostedSapphire said...
Feb. 9 at 12:22 am:
Very beautiful for such  gloomy topic. I absolutely love it. :D