The wisdom in the Moon This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Lucidly I saw long strands of golden sunlight dancing their way through the darkness behind my eyelids

It make my heart sink

Reminding me of the contrast between life and death

Like the clashing of winter and spring

The inevitable end and beginning

I woke to the sound of nature's early morning breathes

I opened my sleep filled eyes the greens and browns illuminating the horizon like a blanket upon the mountains; safely tucked in

I peeled back the blankets from my now eager flesh

Reaching to unlatch the window craving the sun's warmth on my skin

Knowing that in just a short while it would leave me for the day

I caught a glimpse of the moon; a small almost transparent crescent vaguely visible in the shadow of the sun's illuminating light

I was frozen; recalling the many nights I had shared with the moon

And I found myself just then craving it's wisdom

For it was the moon that offered me solace on sleepless nights and it was the moon that truly never left my side

All along I'd seen the picture askew

The sun, you see, will always leave
But the moon is truly true

I learned that day that people are often like this too

Some will never leave; some are gone too soon.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 7:11 pm:
It's really interesting that you said the sun was the one who always went away... If you've read _Romeo and Juliet_, you would know that towards the end of the balcony scene Juliet herself states that the moon is too inconsistent, and that Romeo shouldn't swear upon something so unreliable. I found your point of view very interesting and ironic. Your writing reminded me of my own writing towards the beginning, and I think that made it really connect well with me. Nice job.

TallerthantreesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 12:06 pm :
I have actually read Romeo and Juliet and am familiar with the scene. Although I can certainly understand Juliet's point of view, I suppose, for someone such as myself who sleeps very little, the moon has always been my guide; a confidant. Ironically, the moon has been nothing but consistent for me. Thank you so much for your comment and your kind words. I look forward to looking at some of your work!