The holdiays are chocolate

The holidays are chocolate,
Like nectar on the first square.
Days piled up to mountain ranges,
With heady scents of dizzy sugar promises.
And the whole week, expectant
In my waiting palm.

I eat like the starving
My mouth sours with greed
And my throat is thick with time.
Time gulped and wasted and sickening.
Compelled by addiction to continue
Hewing the diminished peaks.

And then all that remains
Is the corner of weekend
That reluctantly melts itself out
In the cradle of my tongue. Bittersweet.
And the excess floods the cracks
Of my famished lips.

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 14 at 8:52 pm:
"my throat is thick with time" Brilliant! I know this sounds cheesy, but I could almost taste it :P I love the imagery you use throughout the poem. I just have one question though: what is the "excess" that you mention in the second to last line of the poem? 

mereCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 15 at 11:45 am :
Thanks; the 'excess' is wasted dreams and hopes I had for the holiday that have not been achieved. I'm really pleased you enjoyed reading it :)

Prattar938 said...
Jan. 14 at 1:50 pm:
Very good! I thought this was well thought, and written much better than I could have done :P I like the comparison of holidays to chocolate (it makes me think of my procrastination over winter break ) and I loved your words choice! This was very detailed for such a short poem, and I quite enjoyed reading it!

Jan. 15 at 11:44 am :
Thank so much, I really appreciate your response. Personally I've always struggled a bit with poetry and I read so many pieces on here and I think, 'I could never write like that' so thanks for your postitivity!

mereCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 14 at 12:45 pm:
I woull really appreciate any comments and feedback, thanks :)