Darkness

I didn't think that leaving you
Would have affected me so much.

It had all ended in a bang,
Glass on the carpet
From the glass you threw
Over that time that I went over
The budget by ten dollars.

Your eyes has been so bright
And I had still thought
That they were beautiful
Even though they were
Stained with a darkness,
The darkness that had been with
You since childhood.

That darkness had followed you
Around and exposed itself briefly
Around friends and family.
It would punch holes in walls,
Kick over chairs,
Shove me against doors,
And scream in my face.

Every time the darkness was around,
I felt like my heart would burst,
That the tears would melt my eyes,
And worse,
That maybe your hand would find
My throat
And try to choke the right words
Out.

I left on a sunny day but
That didn't stop me from
Crying on the subway
Or fear for my life when I was
Within five miles of your house.

I saw your face on every
Person that I talked to.
I saw your face in traffic signals,
The moon when it was just
A sliver,
And in the inky black
Of an unlit alley.

I feel the fear whenever
I take a step outside.
I feel the fear when I know
That someone is behind me.
It's because I was given a curse
When I walked out that door.
I can now see the darkness in
Every single person I meet
And I will never be able to shake
The feeling that you're just around the
Corner but this time
With a gun.

You said that if I ever
Stopped loving you that
You'd kill me with a slight smile
As your fingers were entwined with
My own.

I haven't stopped loving
You
But I know that you will come.
One day.

SymphonyLaine said...
Feb. 7 at 10:00 am
Beautiful! I could feel the emotion in the story. You definitely have a way with words! I especially enjoyed "I saw your face" paragraph.  Overall very well written !

RoyalCorona replied...
Feb. 7 at 6:47 pm
Thank you so much!

dinksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 3 at 10:33 pm
Overall, I liked the idea of the poem and the message it sent. Very powerful, however I believe the rythm is a bit off, but good job!

RoyalCorona replied...
Feb. 4 at 7:23 am
Yeah, the rhythm is off and I'll try to fix that in my spare time. Thank you!

megcmusicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 3:29 pm
Interesting. I loved it. There is no way to describe how much I truly liked this. Maybe 'amazing' , or 'wow' . No words. None. Just going in my favorites now...

RoyalCorona replied...
Feb. 3 at 7:01 am
Thank you!

LordHelen said...
Feb. 2 at 12:18 am
Wow. This has impact. I like the last paragraph, that they haven't stopped loving. And how the first sentence hits you with what the poem is about. This whole thing impresses me. I can only say 'wow' because that covers it as much as any word. Really, wow.

RoyalCorona replied...
Feb. 3 at 7:01 am
Thank you! I'm so glad that you liked it!

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 30 at 5:41 pm
I like how the first sentence of the poem just hits you with what the poem is about. just enchantingly beautiful <3

RoyalCorona replied...
Jan. 31 at 4:57 pm
Thank you!

Alycia. said...
Jan. 26 at 9:45 pm
This poem, which is beautifully well-written, gave me chills. You definitely have a talent for poems. Keep up the good work! :)

RoyalCorona replied...
Jan. 31 at 4:57 pm
Thank you so much!

theblondechickThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 26 at 3:32 pm
I loved this! I especially liked the 3rd stanza. What I like aout this is that I think everyone can find something they can relate to. We all have a darknes we're trying to hide from. It used some very imagery.

RoyalCorona replied...
Jan. 31 at 4:56 pm
Thank you!

mnm08 said...
Jan. 25 at 8:12 pm
I actually could relate to your poem a lot. This poem resembles some stuff i'm going through with ppl. I really like it. It was well written, and i liked the vivid imagery. Great Job :)

RoyalCorona replied...
Jan. 31 at 4:56 pm
I'm sorry that you're going through this with other people. :( thank you for the comment and stay strong!

Kestrel135This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 25 at 11:53 am
This is a really great poem. It relates the forced relationship the character is in perfectly, really, and was fluently devised. I paticularily liked how you drew 'the darkness within you' throughout the poem, following the victim as they ran from the absuer, always fearing the possibility of their paths crossing again. A truly powerful piece of work. Great work!

RoyalCorona replied...
Jan. 31 at 4:55 pm
Thank you so much!

cecchmate said...
Jan. 22 at 10:11 pm
Wow, I really love this poem. It's surprising to me that nothing in particular inspired you to write this, because having dealt with severly abusive people in my past I can seriously, personally relate to a lot of the phrases you have in there, and I think I've actually written them down and/or thought them in my head before. It could probably use a little bit of sprucing up here and there, but all in all, this is a super powerful poem. You should seriously consider looking for domestic ... (more »)

RoyalCorona replied...
Jan. 23 at 8:16 pm
Wow! Thank you! That is really nice of you to say!