Circuit Breaker This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Her mouth is running and her mind is working
But she's working too fast and her psyche wasn't meant to handle all that power

and she feels it heating up
she's burning bridges one at a time, connected in series
and the more resistance there is the brighter shell burn

“Why can't you think?”
“Just turn on your brain.”
Her brain has been on for far too long but she never knew where to send the current

Fists clenching and unclenching sporadically
Eyes flashing in and out of focus
Sparks flying and landing on her skin

And she cries.
The machine winds down.
You look at her in disgust.
But you ought to know –

Without that circuit breaker,
you'd surely break her

Godinspiresher43This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 6 at 10:53 pm
I LOVE THIS POEM! No but seriously this is a-mazing!  This is one of the best poems I have ever read on teen ink and I've been reading a lot of poems. I love how you presented something so relatable and tangible but with your original idea. Your word choice was absoluely perfect. Wow! What a fantastic poem! Congrats on getting published in the magazine. I'd love to read more of your work. :)

DisillusionedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 5 at 11:11 am
I read this and found that I can really relate. I think you did a very good job at the voice, you can sense the urgency. The final two lines are genius.

AveryJewell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 5 at 7:17 pm
Thanks very much! :)