Supernova

When I die, I want them to say I went supernova.

I want them to say that I went free-falling
out of their reach,
that I burned too brightly—
self destructed and faded to black
in the space of my own personal solar flare.

I hope they call me catastrophic.

When the pathologist slices my skin,
I hope new galaxies spill onto the autopsy table—
that they drain me free of stardust,
pull back my ribs to where my heart should be
and find only craters and old shadows.

I hope they study my scars like the constellations,
read them like a map
of a universe they never knew existed;
I hope that when I’m gone,
when I’ve finally imploded in on myself,
the planets will align with my bones
and for just one moment
I will be brighter than you ever imagined.
I hope it will be messy—
that I will be destructive, all-consuming,
a black hole—
that my body will be a battlefield
marked by comets and asteroids,
and that I am still white hot and fighting
when the dust clears.

I hope they label me devastating
in all the best and worst ways,
and when I am faded,
eclipsed by some new tragedy,
I only hope they will remember me
as a supernova in a barren sky.

varialetteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 13 at 7:20 pm
I hope you are aware that you are crazy, incredibly talented. Bravo!

dreamshakerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sep. 14 at 12:33 am
I was having the worst day and this honestly just made me so happy. I'm smiling like an idiot. Thanks for the comment - I really appreciate your feedback!

RainWashedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 5 at 10:57 pm
I've been reading your work and I have to say that I'm just amazed! You're so great and fantastic! I'm so inspired right now to write better poetry with better meaning! This was amazing!

Sep. 9 at 8:48 pm
You're too kind - this is the nicest thing that's happened to me all day. I think you give me a little too much credit, but I appreciate it so much - I'm glad you've enjoyed reading. Thank you so much for your feedback. :)

Bridget K. said...
Apr. 6 at 6:28 pm
Your writing forced me to look up synonyms for incredible. Please never stop writing. This should absolutely be in the magazine.

Apr. 6 at 8:22 pm
Oh my gosh, thank you so much. I am so flattered, thank you for taking the time to comment - this really brightened my day! :)