bread for my soul MAG

By east_of_ada DIAMOND, Tomball, Texas
east_of_ada DIAMOND, Tomball, Texas

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off." (via Anne Sexton,"For My Lover, Returning To His Wife")

"I think I made you up inside my head.'' (via Sylvia Plath, "Mad Girl's Love Song")

"You called it cosmic; I thought it was icy." (via Ada Coen)

the afternoon I walked out of your life, I made a stop by a tired bakery, my hands dug in my pockets. I needed a moment to feed, I'd run out of your soul to digest, and I was wasting away. behind the counter, there was a woman with her dog, a tiny woman, a large dog, but for reasons I was too foolish to see, she towered over the canine, her white hair strung out like a lioness. “child, you look tired'' she said. I counted out the change for a filled loaf of bread; I didn't want to talk with her, she looked dangerously at peace with her life, the dog content to guard his mistress's desires and fight for her will while there was myself, running and hiding from the damage I caused in my past footsteps. But her voice was too overwhelming and I stopped reaching for my pennies. Dog came and sat by my foot, she came and wrapped those withered arms around my glassy shoulder-bones while my eyes bleed my emotions. The pastry began to crumble between my fingers, and the red center began to leak from between each grainy impression of wheat. I had cried before that day, but I cried the hardest when she whispered that you had really been a leech into my ear. Hours came and went, I'd breathed a few times, before giving my farewells and walking away. (That bread become my body)

poem from "an evening, played out in echoes" "I bear the wounds of all the battles I avoided.” ? Fernando Pessoa

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!