Jumping from the Second Floor This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I do not accept your offer
for the best sex I’ll ever have.
I do not accept my place in an already-crowded kitchen,
and I must decline the terms and conditions that may apply.
For this womanhood, I need not apply
you see, I was born into it.

I will accept the terms
“feminist b****” and “liberal s***,”
which you have so kindly coined in my honor,
I kind of like them, anyway.

Let me introduce you to the word ‘no.’
No, I am not for you and your friends to stare at,
with six pairs of hungry and entitled eyes.
No, I didn’t “like it,”
and I wouldn’t do it again.
No, I don’t need you,
and that makes me the enemy.

Well I am proud to be your enemy.

My body is not the place
for you to pitch your sweaty tent into.
And no, you can’t put it up in my backyard
under the freckles of stars, either.
It is not collateral, or damaged.
It is the last space on this earth,
that you may not claim as your own.

My body is for her lips,
that’s right I said her lips,
and it’s for her hands, too.
She makes love to the scarred skin,
on the nights that she’s not thousands of miles away
and when she does, it feels like home.

If opening my mouth makes me any less f***able,
I think I’ll do it more often.
I am worth more than who I f***,
and I am worth more than what you think,
I am worth more than the razor
that your words used to split my wrist
on nights more vulnerable than others.

I know I am, because I say I am.

I am not your average straight girl
or even your average queer,
I am not your average anything
because I am not average,
I am f***ing beautiful.
I’m not an open invitation or a sealed envelope
I am a book on the shelf,
with a spine you can’t crack anymore,
I am a city, rebuilt after your war,
Reborn.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 9:21 pm:
Reminds me of Beyonce's "Flawless". This poem is flawless. I love it candidness and emphasis on standing up for yourself, not only because you're a woman, but because you're a human. I think that's the biggest thing here. It's not about being different. Not about not being your average white guy (not that this implied that.) But about being a human. And demanding respect as well as equality. Love its theme. Well done. 

ElysiumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 22 at 7:29 pm:
Anger built up inside of me as I read this...this did everything that a good poem is supposed to do. I really connected with this. 

TheCometThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5 at 1:16 pm:
Deep topic!!! I loved it !!! especially when you said "I am not an open invitation or a sealed envelope I am a book on the shelf" i really liked the honesty and the FACT that this poem tells. Yes of course you should be PROUD of this piece ^_^ Great Job!!

.AzureThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 23 at 11:36 am:
Liberating, nice. :)

LittleMissLostInParadiseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is touching, and deep. You did amazing. AMAZING.

spiritwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 27 at 6:59 pm :
Thank you!!!

real_and_awake said...
omg spiritwriter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! u hav inspired me sooooo much, PLZ KEEP WRITING <3 I AM DYING FOR MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

bltloki said...
this is really inspiring, and so many important things that are oft dismissed irl are addressed beautifully in your work. 

writtenonmysoulThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
More people need to have courage like this.

Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:17 am :
Thank you SO much for that comment. This took a lot for me to write and even more for me to publish. I was able to reclaim my experience through this poem, and let it go. And it's really helped a lot :) 

Legendary said...
Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:43 am:
Love it. It is beautiful!

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is straight up awesome :) You completely earned the Editors Choice!

Red546This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:06 am:
Amen sister! Those idiots who came on to you can read it and weep!

fallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like how your speaking yor mind way to go!