I am a Young Lady This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

one time when i was little
my father gripped the collar
of my jacket a little too tight
and shook me
a little too hard.
he said,

“don't you ever back talk me,
young lady.”

i've been a young lady for eight years now.
i'm not afraid to tell my father what i think
because my opinions matter.
right?

just last week i stood up
squared my shoulders
and i told him
“daddy, i don't want to be a
young lady anymore.
i wanna throw tantrums on the floor.
i want my imagination to expand and i want
nap time in my own dream land.
i want my room in pinks and purples
and tomorrow i don't want to see the people
that made me feel older than i really am.”

he told me he was never more proud of me
for saying what's on my mind.
oh, and it's okay to fall apart sometimes.

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is lovely! I have been referred to as a "young lady" my whole eighteen years, now, and I still haven't found the courage to look my mother in the eye and let her know that I happen to like ladies myself. It is a difficult thing to be encouraged to dress, look and act feminine when all you want to do is run around in dirty jeans and yell. Your poem, my friend, has an open, honest quality, and a veritable boatload of bravery. I have to say, my favourite line is, "and tomo... (more »)

kyli3katThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
oh my gosh! thank you sososososo much! this made my day! you are lovely!