Life in Lungs and Clenched Fists This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Life is made of gasps of air
And that sounds deep but it's just true
As shallow as our frantic breaths
My chest's been heaving since the womb
So I guess I know the drill

Life breaks down before a fist
An accident can cause a war
Clenched teeth drinking in their claim
Of fear and oxygen
Angry eyes speak words my mouth has
never learned
And I shake beneath my smile

Life knocks on every bolted door
In a rhythm quite familiar
Poetry tapped out in Morse
Vibrations of the soul
Which is to say, our heartbeats
And a couple gasps of air

I've always found it somewhat strange
The way we say that things can come to life
Really, it is life that comes to them
With a pressure on its rib cage
And a weapon by its side

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2014 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 4:24 am
Emily my dearest or as I like to call you: STARR!! HEYYYY I AM JUST POSTING THIS HERE because I know I've been gone. Just plain gone for ages now and I just, I MISS YOU. SO MUCH. It is like I had this amazing friend in you and all of you people and I haven't been able to reach out and it sucks and I just had to come back at least once and say this, that I miss you and I hope that you still remember me. Before I go and leave TeenInk. And well, here's an address: dua.jas (attherateof) hotmail CO... (more »)

Rolledthestone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing. Just amazing. So true. The title is perfect and it's just...I can't find enough synonyms for awesome.

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:36 am
Amazing! It was particularly satisfying to read out loud, you made really good use of the rhythm :) 

...Unknown... said...
Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:37 am
Ingenious word play. Clearly, you deserve editor's choice. Beautifully and ingeniously written.

ChrisTid7 said...
Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:40 am
Honestly, all I can say is wow. It's super structured and you really set a high bar. Great job!