A Poem

I'll write you a poem
with skin and bones and blood
so you can see what I do,
what I think
all the time.
It's a poem all right;
you'll see gut-wrenching emotion
behind it.
But you'll interpret it
differently than I do,
and that's what
I'm afraid of.

theheavymetalist This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I find this poem very intriguing. Though, of course no one will always see the same things you do. If you know Queen`s Bohemian Rhapsody, Freddie Mercury took advantage of that and try to make a song that could either have a very deep meaning behind it, or none at all but we will likely never know. Another great band that took advantage of this was The Beatles with I Am The Walrus which was SPECIFICALLY meant to not have any true meaning due to the fans trying to actually find deeper meanings in... (more »)

haley101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
the most raw emotions are the physical ones - painted with gaudy imagery. I love this poem. It reminds me of my nightmares. It reminds me of the look on my best friend's face when I told him all of it, crying, and he when he started to believe me, all he could do was cry along too. Writing helps with the coping. At least for me. 

Dr.A88 said...
May 5, 2014 at 9:16 am
I agree with you ! Thumbs Up ! 

TheSkyOwesMeRain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:35 am
Great work! And I totally agree - misinterpretations of poems are annoying, especially when you pour everything into it and nobody understands its true meaning. 

SaphiraBrightscales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:14 am
Heyyyy... Long time! It sure was nice to read something of yours after so long and I couldn't decide which ones to pick so I just took the most recent two. I completely agree with what you're trying to convey here. And what is most beautiful about this poem is the utter simplicity with which you say what you say. And I suppose ALL of us here can relate as every writer in the world is basically writing to be read and to be read is to be understood and if one isn't understood then ther... (more »)

StarlitSunrise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is incredibly meaningful! I feel like it is something that almost any writer could relate to, which is really nice. Great work! :D

BorderlineGenius777 said...
Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:06 am
I like the message behind it. 5/5

mytherna This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I understand this... I've had so many people misinterperate my poems. Or worse, not care about what they say. And that, in the worst ways, hurts.

Ray--yoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:18 am
Relatable and straightforward, amazing work!

AnInkling said...
The idea is pretty cool, but I felt like there was a lack of rhythm in the poem, so it did not flow very well. I really liked the metaphor about "skin, bone and blood", but it would have been nice to have carried it through better. Like mentioning a"fleshy poem" or the "living poem". Also you should capitize the words at the begining of the lines. 

Rayynbow replied...
I did say "gut-wrenching" if that's what you mean by mentioning something more of the body.

east_of_ada This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
imo, i wouldn't worry about captializing each line's first word; without the caps, it flows so much better.   lovely poem doll; misinterpretation is so heartbreaking.

SpeakerOfTheDead This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
As soon I as I read  skin and bones I knew it would be good. I love that line. 

Mckay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I know what you're writing about in this poem. I sure do. As writers, we write things that we interpret as one way and hope that our readers will see in the way we did as we wrote it. However, it almost never works that way. Someone else sees it in a whole different manner. Poetry has myriad facets. It's like a kaliedescope (did I spell that correctly?). I love how you say you'll make this poem "with skin and bones and blood". It's chilling. Reminds me of Sylvia Plath. ... (more »)

Rayynbow replied...
I date all of my poems too, but I posted these dates on teenink because I posted them so long after I wrote them. Thanks so much for your comment and I'm so glad you can relate!