Personae | Teen Ink

Personae

By The_Capricornian GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
The_Capricornian GOLD, Marietta, Georgia

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. - Ernest Hemingway

What you see before you upon my face is but a mask; a façade to counter life's hardships, a shield to absorb fortune's cruelty
It is but one of many, yet none of them are me
I wear dozens upon dozens of these lies
Some differing as much as earth and water, others as similar as bitterness and resentment
Yet no matter what they project, underneath, there is almost always something else, something more
But I don't tell you what's there, for I fear the sword and dagger that sometimes follows
Thus, everyone becomes my enemy; spies to take my identity and use it against me
So I build a wall, imprisoning myself within my own conscious, hoping that one day, my bird will fly
So who am I?
Even I don't know
For I have buried that truth in the deepest recesses of my soul, a place which only my shadow knows
And to unearth the truth, I must burn my dread, pierce the fog of self-conducted lies, and face myself
Because to determine and accept myself for who I am is my first step of many in the journey of comprehension of one's self and others

The day I learned we had to reveal our inner-selves to our fellow 10th graders with writing or poetry, and that we had to practically stand in front of the entire class to do so through what our teacher called "Burn-Outs", something inside of me died. By the time it was over, two-thirds of the class stepped around it the best that they could, the girls that didn't were crying to themselves, and I was the male who went on a limb and let out my inner-self. Now I semi-eagerly our next burn-out and plan on putting it on here as well. (Because our Lit. teacher wants us to partly :-P)

on Oct. 23 2013 at 9:27 am
Calliashi SILVER, Litchfield Park, Arizona

The man with the key is king and honey, you should see me in a crown. ~James Moriarty

I love this poem so much!! I connect with it very well and I feel a lot of people would be able to connect with it. The lines flowed well and there wasn't awkward words thrown in. Well done!