Lady Electric

The scientists in snowy white lab coats
stretch ebony skin taut
over a frame of synthetic steel
—made in Kansas—
combing a glossy pompadour,
curling—up and down—
the long lashes of each almond eye,
manicuring the acrylic nails
—electric yellow—
of each thin finger,
dabbing a little raspberry rouge
on both lips and cheeks,
tying her leather Oxfords,
and finally—
buttoning her tailored tuxedo.

A mannequin to the public;
a Q.U.E.E.N to the critics:
ooh-ing and ah-ing
like a canary,
singing blithely in electric tunes
to the mindless and mechanical—
“I’m not afraid of human beings.”

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 10 at 6:33 pm
I really enjoyed reading this, especially the part where you described what she looked like. Great job! Could you check out some of my work? Thank you! XD

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 4 at 4:29 pm
Thanks for enjoying this. I'll do my best to check out your work. Bear with me if it takes a while. 

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very cool.. I don't know much about Janelle herself, but I really liked this. THe beginning diction was really phenomenal... I love how crisply your words seem to snap into place. The specifics of hte poem are also very professional. Overall, just really nice. I love your writing style. I'll definitely be looking at more pieces.

Jul. 4 at 4:29 pm
Thanks. That makes my day. 

BorderlineGenius777 said...
Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:12 am
You have such an interesting style. Thanks for sharing this. 5/5

Jul. 4 at 4:30 pm
That's so nice of you to say. thnx

Krasota-Butterflies-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You have taken Janelle, analyzed her head-to-toe, and utterly transformed her into a legend-like figure with your descriptions. Just wow. You stole my breath with each line. AMAZING JOB! 5/5

Jul. 4 at 4:31 pm
I'm glad you think so. Thanks. 

east_of_adaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
p.e.r.f.e.c.t.i.o.n we have discussed this friend, i think you are perfect~i love it, okay, it's perfection please keep it up before i faint from overall poetry pleasure.

thank you, dear. t.h.a.n.k. y.o.u. i'll try to keep it up. ^u^

east_of_adaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
you are so w.e.l.c.o.m.e just do what you do and never stop~

nelehjr said...
Is it bad a poem about an android woman makes shivers run down my spine? I loved the imagery, the rythme made it feel kind of musical but unfortunetly I have no idea what you're refrenceing and I don't have time to look it up.

That's a good thing if this poem made you shiver. Emily Dickinson said that if it made you shiver it was poetry. I'm referecing to a musician. I had a feeling most people wouldn't know who I wasn't talking about. If you ever have the time, check her out. She's very different than most pop artist. Partly, because she's not a pop artist. But she's definitely talented. Thank you so much for commenting. 

nelehjr replied...
No, thank you for your comments ;) I would've replied directly but I have a rule about replying to comments on my stuff but I didn't want you to feel slighted so thank you! That's good philosiphy, I like it. I just might have to one day. Check this android woman out, I mean.

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Hello, Mckay! I have missed you and I hope that you are doing well! I have not been on in a very long time, as I have been extremely busy! But, I decided to come and tell you hello and wish you the best of luck in all that you may do while I am away. I am not quitting teenink I am just taking a bit of a break. This poem reminded me of Lana Del Rey, she has a song called 'Body Electric', maybe you have heard it? I love the background to the poem and the inspiration. As always this was ext... (more »)

Hey, youuuu!!! I've been missing you. It's been forever since we last chatted. I have not heard that song. But I'm honored that this poem did remind you of a Lana Del Rey song. (Since you recommended me a song, I'll recommend you a movie to watch. Have you watched Mud? If you haven't you MUST!) I wish you luck with every everything you're doing. Hope to have you here again soon. Thank you!