Lost Art This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

you left behind a mass of blankets
amidst the remains of your baby clothes
a cocoon of which you were queen

but when I unraveled the blankets,
there were spiders
and a dent in the down
where you'd laid your head

I remember we used to build forts
out of the thin sheets and paint dropcloths
you sat in the doorway and sang instructions
and when it was done
we pulled the blinds shut
and lay within our fortress
unreachable
like the stars
whose simulacrum we made
using fluorescent lights

I tried to build a fort last night
and found I couldn't
without the murmured directions in your lilt
the skills were not there
when I needed them most

It's funny
how the things you need most
are never there

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2014 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

tiley said...
Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:20 am
Lost Art! This Title Is Just Too Apt!! Yeah, It's  funny how the things you need most are never there  

RainyMoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:51 am
Beautiful just beautiful. I love every line. The way you did that ...just wow

GabyhayesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Great story, i like how it can be interpreted in different ways:)

EthicalDilemmaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks! Check out my other work too!

tiley replied...
Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:15 am
Have No Words....Exquisite:**
@EthicalDilemma: Dear,I've interpreted it in my way but can you interpret this beautiful piece of art from your side too..It would be much more interesting that way..More Perception,More Ways To Achieve Perfection ,This is what I think... Regards Tiley