tea leaves This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

flashing red lights
painted on formica countertops,
like squad cars,
stealing away time
with the shift of a gear
and electrons seeping into a circuit;
there's something orchestrating
the slow ending of our lives
but it's not god
or jesus's missionaries.

over in japan
there are women with their stories
etched onto their faces
and the look they get in their eyes when they see me
is the antithesis
of the piano symphonies
i play in math class -
it's what thousand-dollar politicians
are trying to stifle
with their patriotism.
it's the empty shells
itching for some electrons
to fill them.

i have tied steeped tea leaves
around my tongue;
the only shield i have
for the valence
they're trying to make me forget.
humanity -
that's another word for it.
the itch
under my skin and in my lungs
like the slogans spelled
across commercials and billboards
that slide into the background,
seamlessly.

and red formica countertops -
they're more human
then anything.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 6:00 pm:
My favorite one by you thus far. CONGRATS, friend, on what must be another Editors' Choice. You're familiar with them I see. XD You deserve them. Keep writing. 

willagraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 6:08 am :
Thank you so much! Both for this comment and the others (and the ratings I think you added  - if not, disregard this). Seriously, your kind notes made my day. I'm defintiely going to check out your stuff when I get a minute!

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 1 at 10:18 am:
What can i say, I'm speechless. And if you knew me, you'd know what a compliment that is. I just wanted to keep on reading and reading more of this. You are incredibly talented. Would you read and comment someof my articles - Blurred lines, The Epiphany, India's Battle of the Sexes, ect? I'd really appreciate it :)

Oct. 1 at 6:30 pm :
Thank you so much!

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 23 at 9:34 pm:
This is an amazing poem! I love the comparisons in here :)

Sep. 24 at 4:24 am :
Thank you so much!

Sparkles96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 23 at 6:10 pm:
This poem was absolutely captivating. You had me hook, line, and sinker, from the very first line, and it left me breathless and wanting more.

Sep. 24 at 4:24 am :
Thank you so much! This comment made my day :)