A Story a Bird Once Told Me | Teen Ink

A Story a Bird Once Told Me

September 5, 2013
By Zesty_Taco GOLD, Towson, Maryland
Zesty_Taco GOLD, Towson, Maryland
10 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Ancora Imparo" "I am still learning." -Michelangelo


A man of humble birth and little wealth comes into the world wanting.
He passes his life working hard, though his labor is trivial.
It is not because of his skin color, his long scraggly beard, or his wizened eyes.
It is not because his mind is closed or his raising being inconsequential.
It is only because those around him feel that he is undeserving, that he is less than they.
Because he was born poor, other men and women around him persuade themselves they are better.

A woman of famed birth and unfathomable wealth comes into the world wanting.
She passes her life without working, though she is emotionally ravaged and without a true friend.
It is not because of her skin color nor is it because of her religion or any other identifier.
It is because those around her feel that she is deserving of their praise and love.
Because she was born famous, other men and women persuade themselves that this woman is better than they.

A human of unknown birth and wealth comes into the world loving.
It passes its life working like many others, though it does not see the stereotypes.
It helps the poor and befriends the rich and famous because it does not see what society wants to make it see. It only sees other human beings, ones that deserve its love and kindness.


The author's comments:
A reflection on loving people as you would be loved. We can break barriers everyday.