Good Night in E Minor

You slowly strummed the steel strings
of your guitar in E minor chords,
while I made up words in Spanish,
singing to the silver stars
spangling the night
around the moon’s enormous curves,
alabastered and heavily ridged
with spidery stretch-marks;
the love song of cicadas
vibrated like a myriad violins
in halcyon unison
while the forlorn coyote
howled for some nearby mate;
Tonight, I don’t fear what
Tomorrow will give me;
it can give me whatever
it wants to grant me;
Today gave me more
than I’ve ever wanted.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You've done it again! I'm honestly really shocked that this didn't get in the mag (or Editors' Choice at least). Like I've said millions of times, your word choice is just amazing. I don't know what goes on in your head, but I WANT SOME. x] THis poem was relaxing and seemed to relieve my OWN stress. I also love E minor, which brought me to this poem in the first place... (:

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 4:21 pm :
Awesome. That inspires me to writes more and more. Thanks for reading my work loyally. 

Krasota-Butterflies-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Simply breathtaking. I wish you had gotten Editor's Choice on this because the word choice is refreshing and completely appeals to the reader. Amazing job! :D

Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm :
Agh, I wish so too! Oh well...not every thing is "Editors' Choice worthy". Thanks so much. Means el universo to me, Krasota. 

east_of_adaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 10, 2013 at 11:55 am:
stop being perfect

Sept. 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm :
It's the curse I must bear all through life. XD No, I try. Thank you, ada, so much. 

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 12, 2013 at 12:42 pm :
Your use of the word "halcyon" makes me tingly :)

Sept. 12, 2013 at 3:18 pm :
I'll keep it in mind to use that word more often if it has such an effect on you. Thanks so much, MyApocalyptic. Your comments make my day a little more halcyon than normal. 

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a beautiful poem! As always :) I particularly loved the line "the long song of cicadas"; I hate bugs usually, but that sounded quite nice! Great conclusion as well :)

Sept. 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm :
I hate bugs too. But it seemed right, at least I think. And hope. Thank you. 

Superhero_FanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That was amazing! I'm going to be honest with you. I know nothing of this type of music. But I still loved it! The last six lines were perfect. They made the whole poem come alive! Great job McKay. :)

Sept. 6, 2013 at 3:40 pm :
I'll be honest with you. I dunno anything about guitar music either. It's all in mind. I wish I knew. Thank you so much for the appreciation for this poem. I appreciate it.