Groping in the Darkness

Recently I relearned about poetry in school.
My english teacher said that free verse poetry
Requires many things, but one struck me.
It didn't strike me well at all.
She said that free verse requires flow.
A general rhythm behind each line
To keep the reader going.
And yet, look at almost every single
Poem I've ever written.
I've simply cut off a line and started another
When I feel that line is too long.
There is no rhythm involved whatsoever
In the formulating of my poetry.
So perhaps she was right,
And I'm simply in a whole other genre
Of poetry altogether.
Perhaps I've created a new genre
In which countless others will follow.
I suppose many others have already
Written many poems like this,
So this most likely is a path
Well-worn by the feet of many a traveller.
I have such a problem figuring out
How to end a poem, and so I
Just cut it off, or at least that's how I feel.
I just stop where I am and save the poem.
I never change or make any alterations.
When I do that, I know the
Spring of inspiration within me
Has run dry, as of that moment.
Inspiration returns at a later date,
But for just then, the well is empty.
And I find that...I feel that sad
Doesn't do it justice. I can't find the right word.
I'm groping in the darkness.
Maybe I'll find the right word sometime,
But not today.

Lost_In_Her_DaydreamThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:20 am:
I like the dedication you put into this poem, and how it can relate to other writers such as myself. I to feel like Im writing my own genre of poetry whenever I write. I just write what I feel needs to be wrote down, and Im glad Im not the only one that does this. I guess thats what poetry is, writing what you feel, and putting your thoughts on paper. (or in my case typing them on a computer) I love this poem! 5 Stars!

Distant_FreedomThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 11:24 pm :
Thank you for your critique. I have a list of works I'm going to check out by you, so be on the lookout for that.

transparantspirit434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23 at 5:29 pm:
When you posted all of those very, very nice comments (which kinda made me excessively happy), I decided to read some of your work as well. All of them are very, very brilliant and, like the first piece I commented on, quite deep. This one especially struck me because I feel the same way about poetry. When I write free verse, I write in the way that I feel it needs to be written, without subjecting to grammatical rules. That is the point of poetry, isn't it? To unleash your feelings without ... (more »)

Feb. 23 at 8:18 pm :
Again, like I said in my previous reply, I really wasn't expecting you to read any of my work, much less comment. I posted those comments because I wanted to express to you how amazing your writing truly is. You have a passion for the craft that I find myself lacking on a constant basis, and I so hope you continue on. You will definitely make a living off of doing this, and a very good one at that, as long as you persevere. The only poetry I write in is free verse, with maybe one or two poem... (more »)

willagraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:47 am:
That last line reminds me of a really popular quote: "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple." - Jack Kerouac.  I really like the idea of this poem. It's very unique. You don't find a lot of poems about poems, you know? It's nice to read a well-written poem that isn't necessarily about a love story. Good job.

GhrenqiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:36 pm :
Thank you! I hope you post some writing yourself so I can read it.