’Hood Poem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

observatory park left me
brimming
with clichés about burning balls of gas
that soon evolved into frustration
when i realized science
was a b-plus at best
and the atmosphere was thinning every day.

neighbors like tchekes,
dying in his white shuttered house,
so we never trick-or-treated there.
the boy with angelman syndrome
a string of drool escaping from his lips.
my skin would twinge
because i wanted to help him walk
but instead i stayed across the street
and arrested my breath.

so now i shortcut my way
to elude busy boulevards
where men lean out of their trucks
and whistle at me,
making me feel much older than fourteen.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Not to copy Roycephus. But...WOW!! YOU DESERVED THE EDITORS' CHOICE! Sorry for the caps. The imagery is striking. Just job well done. The last line were simply out-standing. 

lenabloop This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:01 pm :
Thank you so much! Sometimes I worry with this poem that it can be difficult to visualize since it's my neighborhood, where most people haven't been. It's awesome to know that the imagery is effective, thank you!!

ROYCEPHUSThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 28, 2013 at 1:13 am:
Wow. This poem demonstrates a great deal of maturity and insight into the world. Good job. Five stars.

Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm :
Thank you so, so much for taking the time to read it and comment. Makes me so happy that you liked it! Thank you for the kind words.