Invincible Summer

I’ve a silk blouse that falls
so gently over my thighs
and a coffee mug you bought.
In faded and defeated letters
it reads, ‘Invincible summer.’
Summer, though, is no longer and
I’ve never known a winter so cold.
So here I sit and think of a
halcyon time by the ocean
where we found a conch shell.
Together we painted it the colors
of a soft horizon glow
where it’s as if gripping hold of fire
and feeling a fuzzy velvet.
I use it as a paperweight
to hold down photos of us
and as a telephone to here your voice;
your tone like whispers of the sea.
Next to a photo of two lovers
laughing with the waves
is our half assembled puzzle
that takes me to a time
I wish I never knew:
Patiently lifting small pieces
they fall from your delicate hands
and as the snow begins to trickle
like ashes of a cigarette
you, too, slowly hit the ground.
Your intentions were gold;
taking the medication to get better.
But your motivation wasn’t as bright;
for you, I didn’t try hard enough.
My invincible summer
was taken away by a winter storm.
So I’ll try to shut my eyes
that see best when closed,
just promise that while I dream
you’ll sing to me sweet.
For when my eyelids open
I’ll slowly walk to the sea
and there I’ll let the waves take me.
We’ll prove that together
we’re invincible.

Mckay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I adore this poem because I adore the summer. It reminded me a lot about "Summertime Sadness" by none other than Lana Del Rey. I like the simile of the cigarette ashes. The beginning with the blouse and coffee (coffee high five) made the poem feel homey. Love it. 

SaphiraBrightscales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
LEXUS! Okay so please don't be mad if I begin to describe how much I liked this line by line. Here goes: The first few lines were totally captivating and made me want to read more, your imagery is SO vivid that I can see this movie going in my head. Literally. No kidding. The lines that say "Together we painted it the colors of a soft horizon glow" : EPIC. I love the intimacy of the meaning of these words. Then "I use it as a paperweight to hold down photos.... " WOW, Thi... (more »)

Midnight5765 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love your use of imagrey, i could imagine a adolecent girl in the entire story. My favorite was how you compared to ashes of a cigiratee, very decriptive! Love it and great picture to go by it!

estucker1998 said...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:42 am
That was such a great poem and such a beautiufl story. I loved the imagery and the story and the word choice was excellent. I loved the lines "My invincible summer was taken away by a winter storm." and "as the now begins to trickle like ashes of a cigarette"  You never think of snow and cigarettes going together, but here it works. Very well, I might add. Great job! Keep writing! 

Laugh-it-Out This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Lets try this comment thing again. OMG THIS IS SO FRIKIN GOOD WHERE THE FLUFF IS THE EDITORS CHOICE!! Ahem. 'Scuse the caps, i was a little overworked ;) Well Lexus, you certainly have done it again; created a frikin amazing poem that not only entertains, has a point, and is well written, but makes me wonder how you didn't get an editors choice for this! CMON EDITORS!!! Anywho. I used some of the lines in here as my new fav quote on my profile. I won't tell you wich lines, that you will have to ... (more »)

BlottedInk said...
this is such a beautiful story :) i love how you made the reader feel the two characters relationship. and i love how the shell is a telephone to the person's voice! ive always been fascinated by the sea, so this poem is really special <3  

Hanban12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow, this is brilliant! How you seem to come up with such gorgeous and picture-painting scenes is beyond my comprehension, but I love it! I love the romance and exquisite descriptions- everything about it screams I'M AN AWESOME WRITER! haha, elegently written-- Amazing job.

JB.313 said...
wow,you are a really great poet.i appreciate such kind of writing in such young age.it was so touching and i love it.

SoulPoetry said...
You're romantic poems have always caught my eye and heart. They are so moving and poignant. This one is a fine example of that. It gave me a big smile and also brought some tears. I've always wondered, is this based on someone in your life? Anyways, I love the structure and the imagery like always- you always improve everytime i read your works. I love it and I highly suggest you write a novel. You could pretty much be the female Nicholas Sparks of poetry! Kudos to you for creating a mas... (more »)

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You're a great poet and a great story teller. Have you ever concidered writing stories?

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oh! Ps. I found a type-o. Something about a telephone so I could hear you voice.

sarah98 said...
Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:43 am
i love this! its kind of bittersweet. it just made me smile. my favorite part was when you said how you've never known a winter so cold. beautiful

. said...
Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:30 am
Wow..!! Your way to describe is really nice.. Keep writing dear :)