to an angel of mine

I fell from heaven, it’s true.
Fell from the grace of God
Into the ghetto of depression,
A demonic angel in His sight.

I would slip on my broken, raven-colored wings
To spite the morning’s glee,
Kiss my mirror image on the cheek,
(Do you not kiss your only friend
Goodbye before you leave?)
Prepping myself only to
Flaunt my loneliness in the crowd.

I cawed at the passerby,
“WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN’ AT?”
Hiding my scarred, deformed body
From their astonished, innocently cruel stares.

I thought I loved
A crowd member once,
He saw my broken wings
As a symbol of pride.

But his love was mottled,
He lusted after my “symbol of pride.”
He wrenched away my wings,
My last connection to heaven,
Leaving twin gashes spiraling up my pale back.

But how can anyone
Adore a mere, lowly star-
A crowd member-
When they’ve been blinded by the Sun?

For you fingered my twin scars and
Proclaimed them beautiful.
You then relinquished
Your dove-colored wings
To be with a raven like me.
To be an earth angel.

I’m in love with an earth angel.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I've had that temptation of writing poems while in church, but I know I'd get in trouble, so I abstain from doing so....XD The poem reminds me of mythology with the angels and demons. The emotions is one many can relate to. And the imagery is, forgive the ghetto-ness, coolio. (I try to come up with new things to comment with; i love this and i like that gets boring.) Keep writing, Krasota...even in church. XD 

tori-gurl said...
Personally, I loved this poem! It is so brutally honest and beautiful. It is slightly confusing when at the beginning of the poem you call him a "demonic angel" and then at the end he has "dove-colored wings" implying that he was innocent. Did he change throughout the poem to become the more "innocent and pure one"? That is the only part that i think needs to be revised or made more clear. Other than that you used many relevant and descriptive details that really br... (more »)

Krasota-Butterflies-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:56 am :
Uhm, actually the narrator is still considered the "demonic angel." If you look closely at the last stanza, it says "for you fingered my twin scars...you then relinquished/your dove-colored wings/to be with a raven like me." That's not talking about the narrator, but the narrator's love interest XD I can see where that'd be confusing, though. Thank you for your feedback!