Writer's Blockade

Graphite lurks beneath
My trembling hand,
Threatening to mark this page,
But nothing can quench
My caged mind,
Which lingers behind
Titanium bars.

I’m trapped inside,
Strangled by the emptiness
Of feeling,
Of words,
Of silence.
My pencil used to scratch
Against parchment eagerly,
Enthusiastically,
And hopefully,
But now
Paralysis seeps into my veins,
Freezing my thoughts
Into a tundra of forgetfulness.

My dreams are punctured
With the holes of doubt,
The type unable to be repaired.
Have I fallen weak,
Numb,
Unskilled?

To satisfy my prison guard,
I resurrect my pencil

And begin to write
About not being able to.

411Ellie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is now on my favorite's list. It is amazing! You did a much better job at describing writers' block than I did in my poem creatively titled "Writers' Block." The end of your poem is so dramatic and relatable that it made me chuckle. I. LOVE. THIS. POEM.

ChasingForeverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love this! If I could rate it more I would!

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
YESSSSSS!!! ♥
Five stars!
Though...Your usage of the word quench...I'd replace it with something like satisfy (or however you bloody well spell it!), appease, comfort, release. Just a suggestion.

OldYoungOne replied...
Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm :
It's a nice piece I've written somethign similar and posted it to the forum. I'm hoping to ge ffedback on that so that I could make it better. Well done that's a part of what i feel. I like.

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:13 pm :
Ok. Thanks for reading

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is wonderful you captured writer's block flawlessly, and i can totaly relate to this. I love your word choice like paralyse. And your imagery was amazing :D overall, well done like normal. ( like i need to tell you your a natural writer anymore :P)

BrandybuckTookThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is brilliant! Good job! I can relate! I loved the way you were having a kind of...mini panic attack. I know the feeling. Whenever I have writer's block, I just want to bash my head against a wall until an idea is beaten into existence.

Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm :
Haha, it is a common problem every writer faces. Im so glad you enjoyed it!! :)

Superhero_Fan said...
I LOVE writing about not writing! In fact, one of my favorite quotes are: 'If there ever comes a time, when you have nothing to write about... Write about nothing at all.' said by me! (No, I did not 'just make it up'!) Well, I loved your poem, and you described writer's block very clearly. How frustrating, annoying, and sometimes scary, it can be! Good job, and keep writing!

Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:33 pm :
I agree completely on your quote! And Thank you so much for your feedback. :)