October Boy | Teen Ink

October Boy

By laceandcoffee PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
laceandcoffee PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico

"We make up horrors to help us escape from the real ones."- Stephen King
"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry. I want danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."- Aldous Huxley

I met a boy in late October
He had hair like autumn
Eyes like winter
Lips like spring
And cheeks like summer

I was in love
Or I believed I was
But in retrospect it may just have been
A young girl's conflicted obsession
With something she knew
She would never have

For he saw right through me
While I saw him in everything I did
He meant the world to me
But to him I was as insignificant as a fly

And this knowledge only made me want him
With an even fiercer desire
No other boy compared
To the angel I had created in my head

Maybe you could say I was blind
To the fact angels are rarely angels in reality
And he was no exception

My eyes opened gradually throughout the years
He dyed his hair to night
And his winter eyes froze over
Until they were solid ice

I met a boy in early July
With spring hair
And summer eyes
That taught me angels do exist
Love is more than an obsession
And ice is always capable of thawing

on Sep. 26 2013 at 12:26 pm
icsparkles GOLD, Yarmouth, Maine

The future is my favorite home.

This is just beautifully written, your work is wonderful, rawly honest and uninnocent. It's gorgeous. 

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 8 2013 at 5:17 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I've noticed you commenting quite a bit on other people's work. And everyone saying how great you are. I do remember also reading one of your other poems, which fascinated me. And still plays in my mind. The descriptions in this poem are very beautiful. And life-like. The reader can envision it all. I love especially how you change the details of the guy according to season or month. Very creative and effective. Also, I can relate to it very much. Sometimes, we think we fall in love with the person of our dreams. And sometimes in the end, they're nothing but hypocrites that use you for thier own benefit, all while playing with your emotions. Great ending; there's still a bud of hope blossoming despite all the frigidity of Life. 

OldYoungOne said...
on Aug. 5 2013 at 9:28 am
Different and sweet. I love the description you have here. It really amplifies the the meaning of your poem. The frankness also helps convey that the speaker of the poem (whomever it may be) is an genuienly hones person leading me to trust a nd fully understand the meaning behind the words (if that even makes sense). All in all I like the poem 

on Aug. 4 2013 at 7:41 pm
kikixkupkake GOLD, San Marcos, California

"The things that walk out when we open our minds." -Dylan McCoy

This was surpring, and I dont know what to say again. I just know this is good. Really good.

on Jul. 29 2013 at 8:25 pm
Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

WHOA! I was surprised here; rarely sad poems like this one have a genuinely happy ending. And it's not a cheesy one either (another rarity)! AMAZING JOB! :D

on Jul. 29 2013 at 4:26 pm
Superhero_Fan SILVER, Tomorrowland, California

"Impossible; for How many people did you know who refracted your own light to you?” - Fahrenheit 451

That was beautiful! I think my favorite part of this one was the last stanza. Everything about it was amazing. You truly are a talented writer! Keep going.

on Jul. 29 2013 at 2:57 pm
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey there! I love the title, it reminds me of a poem I am currently writing, in fact a lot of this poem does as far as the seasons and what not. The first stanza is absolutely perfect, it's really lovely with the metaphors of the seasons, you did a great job with that. I think you did a good job with the large vocabulary, you spread it out, which is something I need to learn because I over-use big words sometimes. I also enjoyed the fourth stanza, there is some real raw emotion there that I really do feel. And the last stanza, next to the first, is my favorite. The descriptions again are wonderful along with the metaphors, but the last line really effected me. Beautiful job!

on Jul. 26 2013 at 2:33 pm
RozaAlexander, Amory, Mississippi

rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, & accepted by idiots.

I normaly dont like these type of poems, just cause I'm not into the whole romance thing but I actually like yours alot.

on Jul. 25 2013 at 9:27 pm
SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

I abosultely love your imagry use with the seasons. I'm just a little confused about how you're capatalizing things because some lines are and some lines aren't. Other than that, it kept me interested despite its length. Great work!