Predetermined Epiphany | Teen Ink

Predetermined Epiphany

By JavonteWolfe SILVER, Cleveland, Ohio
JavonteWolfe SILVER, Cleveland, Ohio

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not.
-Kurt Cobain

I am afraid.
I seek solitude from the delight I once had for the mystical barrier that I created between the world and myself.
My mind has been lost since the day I gazed upon her beauty as the light from above shone down making the mist around her feet seem to rise as she was slowly enveloped in it.
And just like that, as if by the wrath of a preordained sentiment that we knew not of, she was gone.
As she went so did her happy, whimsical nature.
When I saw her my heart attempted to beat from my chest in an attempt to relish in her silent cries of mourning that hung in the air as if spellbound.
The fragile creature before me was the only one to ever make me wonder how it would be if that barrier wasn't in front of me.
I could... No. I can smell the trees that surround me,
The Autumn leaves blanket the ground in a flurry of red and orange,
I can hear the water rushing from a nearby river,
And I feel the breeze roll across me as I stand here in astonishment.
She walks up next to me and holds my hand in her's; her hand is warm.
My heart is beating with such fury I can see my chest heave below my shirt.
I look at her and as she looks back I feel something stronger than I ever have before.
Now I can see that my barrier was already shattered.
It was destroyed the day I first saw her.
I decide to close my eyes to revel in my new world, but I open them to find her gone, and I am back in the lab lying on the table.
"That was fast. Did you find love?" "Yes, but it doesn't always last a lifetime."

I wrote this for an online contest on another site and it's one of my best pieces as of late so I'd love for as many people to read it a possible.