ChapStick This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Her stupid lip-glossed lips
on his stupid dumbstruck face
and I give them a few months
tops
but it's still irritating
I mean, do you REALLY
have to suck face
in the middle of the frickin' hallway?
I just want to get to my locker
as a sigh passes through my chapped lips
and a giggle through hers
and I smear on the cheap ChapStick
88 cents at Easy's
where it smells like smoke and the potheads go
while the radio plays
and the man in the stainy white tank
rings up your purchase “sweetie”
and the radio always plays
ninetee-three-three Kae-Bee-H-UR
this tiny ChapStick
stings my unloved lips
all tenderness dying on top of them
sighing out only cynicism
I mean, isn't love great?
for stupid, shallow people
and stupid lip-glossed lips
when I could love you so much more.

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 17 at 6:38 pm:
Hi - I remember reading this a while ago, and congratz on the publication! You earned it! :)

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:29 am:
WOW! this was so emotional. It was raw anger and sadness but it was still very put together. I love this.

estucker1998 said...
Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:39 am:
Great. This was truly wonderful--in a bitter, lonely sort of way. I could really relate to this, as I know so many others will, too. The imagery was perfect and her bitterness and disdain really showed through in the words.I especially loved when you described the Easy's and the "rings up your purchase 'sweetie'" I also loved "stings my unloved lips" and her sarcasm of "Isn't love great?"It was short, deep, and centered around something simple. I thi... (more »)

Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm:
Yup - this is going in my Favorites :) This is such a good poem, so relatable, so bitterly beautiful. Do not stop writting! You have some creative talent right here

TheWhitestRose said...
Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm:
I truly connected with this. This is one of my favorite poems I've seen on TeenInk. 

CasimirPulaski This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:38 am:
Love it! The bitter imagery is impeccable.