In Honor of The Hobbit

Is this the end my friend, my friend
The trees alight
The smoke on high
For dragon fire is in the sky;
The king has lost his final cry;
The heir may fight, the heir may die
Is this the end, my love?

Tis not the end, my friend, my friend
True darkness is not fell tonight
And through the broken boughs there shines
The sunset's final rays of light
The mountains gather fog to veil our sight
But look upon their snow-capped peaks and marvel at their height
Though dragons may have scorched your halls
And torn you of your plight
No, this is not the end my friend
The beauty has simply changed tenfold
The grace of Erebor was Dwarvish
This, my love, is the world.

AnInklingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loved your poem! I am a huge Tolkien fan, and yes, I was distraught when Fili, Kili and Thorin died, but no quite as sad as when a certain character died in "The Children of Hurin" (another novel of Tolkien's which takes place in Middle Earth). The only comment I would have is that the "my love" phrase seems out of context since all the dwarves are guys... you may want to change it to "my brother". But I loved how you actually rhymed-- I hate free verse poems ;)

AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 12 at 10:19 pm :
The 'my love' line is sorta in my perspective here, probably because when I wrote this I was in the midst of hysteric stress. I don't know. I think that line comes from my perspective, but I've been messing with this poem for quite a while now, so it sounds really different on my document anyway. But I'm glad you like it :)

ThalionThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 1:07 pm :
I adore The Children of Hurin!!!! Few books make me cry, but I did when Beleg Cuthalion died. And Findulias. They are two of my favorite Tolkien charaters (Thats where I got my username, Thalion. It's Elven for "dauntless")

today at 7:18 pm :
Well I haven't read the Children of Hurin, because I barely have time to read or write anything with school these days, but I wrote this basically to honor Thorin, because I sobbed over his death. I have read The Hobbit and LOTR, and I'm going to read the Silmarillion over the summer. But I totally see where you're coming from. 

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm:
Wait. What? Loveable characters in Lord of the Rings die?! Aaaah! I was just getting into the book series! </3 That tears it! *Shuts out all the bad in the world*
Anyhow, I love your inspiration! I love the story behind this poem! And I really like how at the end you make it sound like the world's starting over. I've learned to dub that a happy ending :)

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm :
Ps. If you post/tell me what you wrote in a tent, during a thunderstorm, above treeline at 12,000 ft elevation I'd be happy to read it, rate, and comment...Wait doesn't that mean you were camping on a mountain? Clever way to put it I must say!

Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm :
I think I might have botched that poem... sorry :P is there anything you want rates / comments on?

Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:27 am :
Ah! Bummer!
And sure. Just troll around my page and see if you find something you like. If you feel so inclined that is!