I Am From

I am from

Brown skin splattered with white
Blue waves of Dominican beaches
My mothers "¡Ay Carajo!"
New York City's majestic skyline
Rolling mountains of country
Rice and beans on cold days
The sledding hill in the park
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
"Shake it Out" blasting through the house
13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Ear to the speaker and thrum of the floorboards
Fan whirring through winter
Ivory piano keys and low viola strings
More notebooks than I can count
Unlocked lockers
3 week group chats
Pandora Radio
An infinity if inside jokes
My famous sarcastic remarks
Glee's old songs
"Liv", "Livs", "Livy", "Livy-loo", "Wanda"
Hershey Park, Cony Island, Six Flags
Private and Public schools
Friends
Myself
That's where I am from

Cindy152 said...
today at 7:53 am:
It's like you're telling me these things instead of me reading this halfway around the world. :D I love how it's so.. real :))

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 5 at 10:31 am:
This poem is really........ bright and bouncy and fluffy. I know that sentence has many grammatical errors but that is the only way to describe it ! Keep writing

TaeonaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love how bright and cheery this poem is.

Cassie1435This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm:
Omg i love the way you write it's so good and it's beautiful ! keep up the good work

Mr.DedicatedDetermination said...
Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm:
Let's go Gleeks! lol. But seriously great job. I like the very light lines in the middle towards the end. Made me smile. Keep it up!

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:50 pm:
Hmm. I understand what you were trying to do here, I just think it's been done before. You know? It needed a little more structure and direction, instead of just listing things.... That said, I think you did a good job more at the beginning, when it was talking more about ethnicity and all..... it was more connected. Still good, I'd give it a 4/5 :)

dragonsandthree said...
Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm:
Livy, this poem is very different.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm:
Hey, Livy-loo!  I love this! No need to say why obviously because it's abbout you. :D I wonder who calls you Wanda.... This was a really very very interesting poem, and so amazing. I looked up what "Ay carajo" meant, and what an interesting finding, so your mother is spanish, wow,.. Amazing language it must be. How do you pronounce it though? The list of songs, and books and all those little things that make our days, that was so amazing to read. (I got those in my booklist, g... (more »)

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:22 pm :
Thanks Dua! My teacher calls me Wanda along with about a thousand other things! READ THOSE BOOKS!!! And then tell me how much you love them because they are friggin amazing! Haha thanks Dua :) love Livy-loo

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:52 am :
Oh!  I can't help but wondering, what a wonderful teacher you must have. I mean to have a student as you he teacher must be awesome, lol I hope that makes sense :P Okay I shall, definitely :D Love always, Dua.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm:
I love how personal this poem is. I feel like I know you more. I especially enjoy the humor you use. The "Ay Carajo!" I've heard that line so many times in my house. I felt like I could hear it. And all the little things you enjoy, the books and songs. I LOVE THEM ALL.! And OMG! SHAKE IT OUT!!!! I love love love Florence+the Machines. You have great taste in everything. Excellent poem, "Liv", "Livs", "Livy", "Livy-loo", "Wanda"... (more »)

Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:20 pm :
Haha i was writing it and going, how can I encore rate the Spanish! And then it came to me: my mother yelling at me!! So that's basically where it was born. Thanks and SHAKE IT OUT SHAKE IT OUT WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LexusMarie said...
Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm:
Liv! Livs! Livy! It's so cool to read about you! I love the bits of humor and the serious parts. I love to read about the things I can relate to, the things I can't, the new stuff I learn about you, the things I've never heard of. It's all so interesting and really cool to read! But, in the end it's your best poem because it's you, literally, it's all about you. :) I'd like to write a 'Where I'm From' poem eventually. But, as always, great job Liv... (more »)

Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm :
Thanks Lexus!