Who I Am

I am a writer.

I want to smile,
But tears slip instead.
I see myself within
The craters of the moon,
A reflection of light,
And a trick to the eye.

I am the tiger feared by most,
Marked with black;
Not pure like the dear
Grazing silently on the plains,
Enjoying the life of spring;
Graceful and delicate,
Warm and elegant.

They're nothing like me,
Oh, nothing like me.

Don’t compare me to daisies,
For I am sharp with thorns of a rose.
Don’t say I’m like radiant sunshine,
For I cower in the shadows of night.
Don’t match my paws
To those of a beautiful,
Rosy cheeked girl,
But please
See my potential.
Shine your love into each
Of my golden eyes.
Glimpse at me, and allow
A grin to spread across
Your hopeful lips.

Watch me pounce,
Though I do not relate to the agile deer.
Watch me capture the Earth
Within outstretched claws,
As raindrops glide from their edge.
I carry a heart
That can be shattered
With just one shutter of a storm;
A flimsy piece of creation.

Hear my growls
Echo throughout the land
As the wind tries to silence
My thunder,
Yet my voice grows stronger
As time stumbles by.

Watch as each stripe is replaced
With glimmering stars,
Each gleaming through a violet sky;
The sky a synonym for life itself,
A canvas for the twilight.

Watch as these words
Become my smile,
And then
Watch me write.

JuneSThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is a very wonderful piece. I absolutely love it. You are amazing at writing. I will watch you write. Lol
Keep up the good work. :)

411Ellie_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 8:08 pm :
Wow! I commend you, for this piece took me on a journey! (I love circle plot line, btw.) My favorite lines were "I see myself within the craters of the moon," and "The sky a synonym for life itself, a canvas for the twilight." As I read these lines over, I am awestruck by their profoundness. I LOVE YOUR WRITING!!! With love, Ellie

OldYoungOneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The poem is indeed very descriptive and there is obvious skillin the work of your poetry. The only thin I have an issue with is that I am not grabbed by poem. I can understand but I myslef cannot FEEL the poem as I would any other. Facially I enjoyed the poem but I wanted something deeper.

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:12 pm :
Thank you for taking the time for reading this and for being honest. However, this was a very personal poem and I thought the emotion was obvious? But I understand what you're saying and will try my best to make it better :)

Superhero_FanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:27 pm:
This was amazing! I loved your metaphors with the tiger. This was a very well written piece; I loved it! It was strong and descriptive, and it flowed smoothly. The only thing I found wrong was the 'dear' 'deer' part! Thank you for writing this!

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:19 pm:
Oh my god. This is amazing. This is sooooo good!!! your work is relatable and awesome. Wow, i would have given you an editors choice cuz this is so good. I am sure your language arts class loved this! Because i love it! Congrats on creating such a storng developed piece. Truly brilliant ;) Keep rockin hanban

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:56 pm:
This is really good. And obviously a great reflection of yourself :) 5/5 ... My only criticism is that "dear" should be "deer" in the beginning XD

Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm :
Thanks! haha yeah I caught that after I submitted it... lol blonde moment :)

Loleta said...
Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:33 pm:
I think your poem is very powerful and I feel like i can connect to you through your writting. Also you details are wonderful.

Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:59 pm :
Thank u sooo much!