Daughter in Moving Car | Teen Ink

Daughter in Moving Car

By officekid PLATINUM, Encinitas, California
officekid PLATINUM, Encinitas, California

“You must be filled with expectancy. You must be awash in hope. You must wonder who will love you, whom you will love next.”
― Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

As we drive the weekly drive, I ask her softly, longingly, hopefully, for a better schedule.
A better way to live, to help me with school, friends, home.
She looks down at me, softly, firmly astounding “no”.
I persist, but she doesn't hear me.
“It isn’t fair to me,” she says. Me, me, me.
Rarely complaining, I am utterly surprised.
Why?
Her finger poised towards me, she points.
My fault, me to blame, her perfect.
Caged in the moving car, we sit without lips moving, no sound from us.
No motion but the bevel of the wheel, the switching of the FM station.
No sound but from the radio, loud is the music to stifle the piercing silence.
Thoughts racing, I think. I think to bury the thinking of before, I must think for now.
What has happened? She’s my mother, I love her, no? No? Yes, but where to draw the line.
The line to ward off eruptions of torment and manipulation stringing from her to me.
A sad moment, yes. A horrid loss, yes. To wallow in pity, no. I must effloresce.
I placed my trust in her, I looked up to her, I found my hope in her.
Though I soon realized, the hope in her was only a reflection I saw in her eyes,
Eyes of darkness that would watch over me.
One better hope not to fall into them, they’re a trap, you see.
Her eyes pursue you,
grasp you,
claim you.
Once inside you drown, drown in deep waters
As dark as a devil’s eye.
Mothers watch over you. Laugh with you. Help you. Love you.
Mothers are supposed to.

Thank you for commenting, that was very kind of you as well. I appreciate those who simply take the time to read what I write, but to be given such positive feedback is wonderful. Thank you

Thank you for these kind words, I am so grateful! I wrote this poem not to "write poetry" but because there was a need to tell something what I felt; I guess that something was paper. Thank you for commenting! I found your ode to squirrels quite entertaining

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

Wow, I love the ending! I'm not a very deep person, and maeby that was why I was a bit confused in the begining but the end cleared everything up! This was great, awsome job!

kikixkupkake GOLD, San Marcos, California

"The things that walk out when we open our minds." -Dylan McCoy

Fantastic! I really enjoyed this poem. 5/5 Stars for me! The way to say the thoughts of hers, the emotions tug at me this way and that. One second I could drown in depression, the next I am holding my head up high in attempt to heal, and the next I'm down on my knees begging for forgiveness. My favorite line: "but where to draw the line. / The line to ward of eruptions of torment and manipulation stringing from her to me." That's pure genius. I feel this character portrayed by the poem so much. I could not find any errors, you did exceptional. Why is this not editors choice? If THIS was in the magazine, I would start ordering it. Fantastic, bravo!