Autumnal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's been five years,
and I can't remember the exact color of your eyes
or the softness of your hands,
but I've never forgotten the way your face lit up
when you talked about autumn.

I don't remember the words to your favorite song
or the sound of your laughter,
but after all this time, I still see you sitting on that park bench,
still picture you kicking leaves
and charming tiny flames from the top of your lighter.
You would spin stories of a dying summer,
outline the birth of fall in shades of gold,
and recall harvests that always seemed too big for your delicate wording.

Five years later
and I still can't believe that you're gone.
I still find your coats
hanging
in the front closet,
the corpses of your cigarettes still lying quietly
where you thought I'd never find them.
I keep your lighter tucked in my own pocket
and I can't see it without thinking about the changing leaves,
bursts of oranges and reds like fire at our feet.

I'm still waiting for another autumn,
for another smiled story and crisp evening air.
I'm still waiting for you to need that coat,
to shiver next to me on a park bench
and pull that crinkled pack of ashes
from inside some hidden pocket.
I'm waiting for you to explain the note
you never left me,
the reasons you never gave,
and why my footprints seem so much smaller without you here

I'm still waiting for you to explain
why the autumns are so empty without your words,
and why it was so hard to make it here
without you.

mrsperegrineThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 5:12 pm:
WOAH! This is an absolutley exquisite poem! I love how you described autumn, especially the lines.."I keep your lighter tucked in my own pocket..and I can't see it without thinking about the chanigng leaves, bursts of organges and reds like fire at our feet...". I also love how you weaved in a story with such powerful emotion in this poem! Job well done :). 

dreamshakerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 6:35 pm :
Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it! :)

RainWashedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 5 at 10:46 pm:
This is an amazing piece of art! I love how you spun a story with this poem. I also liked how you kept bringing the colors of autumn up without saying that it was autum. This was masterfully crafted. Extremely beautiful. Maybe you could check out some of my stuff and let me know what you think. I would love your feedback.

Sep. 9 at 8:47 pm :
Thank you so much - your comment made my day. I don't get a lot of comments, especially not out of the blue, so it was really awesome to log on and see such great feedback. :)

I've looked through some of your poems, and I left you a couple comments (The Bridge & Darkness were the titles, I believe). My pleasure to offer feedback. Your poetry is very powerful.