the fireworks will spell "strong"

Twice a day, for the past few years
I've watched my little brother take this nasty medicine
that keeps his brain from going up in bursting fireworks
like the epileptic Fourth of July.
Every day, since we were little,
I've heard him struggle to learn and push harder than
half of the people I know to get where he is.
And I've heard it frustrate him because
he had no choice in the matter.
He didn't get to choose whether things would be easy or hard;
it was nothing he did that caused him to be different from the other kids.
Yeah, sometimes things are hard, but
he's sensitive and loving and funny and a fighter
and that's all I could ever wish for him to be.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 4:16 pm:
I hope with all of my heart that your brother gets better. Again, this is a powerful poem. I admire his determination and the strenght to continue living, albeit it may not be easy. Honestly, this is fantastic. And conveys hope, despite the harshness life sometimes offers.

laurengerhardThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 9:59 pm :
Thank you so much. Xo

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 12 at 9:34 pm:
Hey there! While most people on teenink probably know, I tend to keep away from non-rhyming poems, but from time to time I read them and I usually end up liking them. Today was different because I love this one. I loved the title! Brilliant. And the story-line was not what I was expecting, I love when poems surprise me. And while this was sad, it was poetic, it was beautiful, it was sincere. I am sorry about the problems your brother is going through, but it's good to know he has a sister th... (more »)

May 12 at 10:10 pm :
Aw, I appreciate that and I'm sure he would too. Thank you!