All I Ask of You This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By , Kingsville, Canada
Close your eyes, and jam those old earphones in your hearing holes.

Sit down on that gate by your house.

Look up at that blue, blue sky, away from the mud beneath the fence, as brown as your eyes.

Listen to that old song they'd play at the dances in the theatre/gym by the school, when all us grade school kids would awkwardly bob to the music. You would do ridiculous dance moves because you didn't seem to care what anyone thought.

Try not to think of the old rugs they'd slap across the floor, covering wires, sticky with gum and Lord knows what, or the too-loud music, or the stench of fog machine and B.O.

Think of how you've known me since the Big Bang.

Think of the girl from kindergarten with the short brown hair and big, big eyes and big, big dreams she never really believed in. Think of the boy from the pictures with the short brown hair and big, big eyes and big, big dreams that would become the last thing he'd want when he grew up.

Think of the girl with the speech and the boy who had no idea she delivered it to him.

The girl achieving every academic award at school, and the boy with a friend for each star in the sky.

The archer and the gun lover.

The motto on your family crest, in English, is, "No sleep for those on guard."

How true that is.

You're always on guard, watching the walls you've constructed

to keep people out.

You don't rest for fear of someone sneaking in. You don't have a moment's reprieve because you're too scared you might end up loving someone.

So sit there on the gate
Surrounded by those walls
And listen to this song
Chasing Cars
While the cars pass by
And think about you and I.

That's all I ask of you.

Deej6595 said...
Beautifully nostalgic and present.

AtroposThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm:
Job well done - a really good poem!

swallowedbystreetlights This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 7, 2013 at 7:51 pm:
Beautifully written and wonderfully nostalgic!

writingriver05 said...
May 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm:
its beautiful! You dug down deep and let complete strangers see a part of you that you might not show anybody else and that takes courage. Your brave, good luck out there.

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 7, 2013 at 4:00 pm:
that's really pretty, and i relate  alot. keep writing, and check out some of my stuff please!!

YozoraK said...
May 7, 2013 at 2:34 pm:
Awesome!  I thought I would just let you know just amazing your poem is! :)

MandaLark This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 7, 2013 at 11:54 am:
I don't know who you are... But i want you to know that we are living the same life, and that, that was beautiful. (: