Little Pageant Queen This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Tying her own shoelace isn't her piece of cake,
But strutting in those high heels is her cup of tea!
She smiles and pouts and waves and poses,
Swathed in enough sparkles to sink the stars.

Her innocence is carefully tucked behind her ears,
Hidden by an array of bangs and extensions
That claims her otherwise juvenile features,
Shrunk into an eternal duck face.

Her pancake laden countenance
And her black widow eyes become
The oxygen that chokes her soul,
But lets her survive in the glassy world
Of flawless skin and sleek noses.

And the question that I ask her 'proud' mother,
Who dressed her up in glitzy vain glory
And braided strands of insecurity into her hair;
Has no one ever told you that
You shouldn't pluck a fruit till it is ripe and ready?

StarGazer9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 12:36 pm:
Oh my gosh this is exactly how i feel! It's just not right... great poem!

wordnerd54This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 19 at 10:19 pm:
This is a great poem! I agree- child beauty pageants cause kids to grow up way too quickly.  I like the fact that you address the girls' parents in the poem, because they are certainly a huge part of this unfortunate phenomenon.  My only criticizm is that the first stanza didn't flow quite as well as the rest (the other three were totally flawless), and personally, I would take out the exclamation point - it seemed out of place. But that's, of course, being co... (more »)

E.J.MathewsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 12 at 6:38 pm:
I'm not all that into poetry, but this one just sort of clicked with me, which is very hard to do. Excellent job.

compassionThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 12 at 12:42 pm:
Oh my god this is so very well voiced not just for you  but for many others like me who have the same opinion. Amazing!

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 8 at 11:32 am:
So good, especiall the ending! Great job

PotterWhoLockedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 7 at 9:06 am:
I love the line "Swathed in enough sparkles to sink the stars." Well done.

LiraDaerisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 7 at 3:02 am:
Love the first stanza immensely. The imagery with fine foods is amazing

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 6 at 6:27 am:
It's incredible and in a way its right about the pagents i love how in your writing in everything you can feel how strongly you agree or disagree with it you make it your own so i agree with hte others that said that it was just incrediible to read keep it up. XD :3

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 6 at 12:57 am:
Oooooooh, I loved this! So true, too, and very well written. Good job! XD

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5 at 12:48 pm:
You never cease to marvel me ...What I like most about your writing is that it is always about something that truly matters, and it's as if you try your hardest to make the cause your own. This one was breathtakingly moving. And you made your point. I love all of it, but if I had to pick a favourite part I'd say  the last few lines. Amazing poem.

SimranRazdanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5 at 6:21 am:
amazing work. i loved the line "her innocence is carefully tucked behind her ears". I enjoyed the apt use of adjectives in the poem and the way it conveyed a lot before losing the interest of the reader. keep writing!

aladine_98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 5 at 3:01 am:
You perfectly expressed the problem of beauty pageants, and the emotional damage it creates. I especially like the line, "And braided strands of insecurity into her hair." Impeccable spelling and grammar, and good imagery. Overall you deserve a 5. Great job!