what i stayed awake for

i stayed awake for the stars and they
did not disappoint;
they followed me around
like bright spirits,
silver in a sea of empty night
yeah I watched as the sun bade goodbye
to the sky
leaving a blue glow nestled in the crook
of a giant’s shoulder
and small burning angels stole heaven
i stayed awake to pass through
the town where you
were staying
and the sleeping streetlights told me
you knew that i was there
so I put a hundred miles of mountains in between us
yeah I put a hundred miles
of mountains in between us
and watched the moon get good and drunk
on silence.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 5 at 7:31 pm:
You are a perfectionist with poetry. It seems, excuse me—it always gets better, as if it had to be better. The images you paint imbued with your heartfelt emotion just created picturesque portraits in my mind. Hmm...now, I will try to interpret this. First, the speaker is happy that he or she to see the magnificence of the night's beauty. As the stars overhead twinkle in the great swarthy expanse. Then he or she passes by a perhaps former lover's house, which is somewhat stalker-is... (more »)

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 6 at 12:22 pm :
You got thie jiiist of it.   Basically just a Radiohead/caffeine/tiredness poem, haha.   I was going home late at night from a road trip, it was around 1 am. A very close friend of mine was staying in the city we were passing through, and we were talking the entire time, so it was interesting to be close to someone both physically and emotionally, though the physical is just passing for now. My feelings for the person were strong, but not strong enough to make me feel like I sh... (more »)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 6 at 2:13 pm :
Well "Radiohead/caffeine/tiredness", that'll do it for you. I'm glad I got somewhat of the essence of this poem. I hope everything  works out with your friend. I love those nights when the moon is just tawny and obese, hanging like a pendant or a pendulum with the stars speckling the night around it. Too bad we don't get that many nights here. Oh well.

May 7 at 2:21 pm :
"Tawny/obese" NICE xD

candlelightwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 11:52 am :
Dear sweet goodness, I love this poem. Good flow, good words, good emotion. This is the kind of poem I wish I could turn into a song and stuff in a little box and whenever I need a boost or a little inspiration I'll just open the little box and listen to these words trill me their sweet melody of lovliness (ok that was a really round about way of saying awesome job ;D)