Ennui This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

your thoughts push me past
—the breaking point—
—the point of no return
to the start of the labyrinth
with no exit—
no man’s land—
I try to return in reverse
but I cannot:
I am chained to the arid ground,
fruitless and unfertile
of what I tried to escape
all these years
yet seek hopelessly now—
the old Babylonian Harlot’s
chains chain me:
I am your prisoner

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Whaddup ma brah? Just chillen', eh? Yes, so since I am going to read every single poem of yours, I decided it best to start here as you said.. and yet again, Mckay inspired me. So, what happened was I was looking up synonyms for ennui because I like to do that with really interesting words and tedium came up and I like completely forgot about that word.. so, I am going to write a poem titled 'Tedium'. So, in a way, you led me to find the long lost word! Anyways, this totally (Ew... (more »)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Great analogy. And thanks for accepting the challenge of deciphering this poem. (By the way, reading every poem I write is a challenge; I have more on the way. Additionally, I plan to read all of yours.) By the way, this poem was also inspired by someone else on this site that wrote a poem with the word ennui in it. Like you, I went to the dictionary to understand this word. And this is what I came up with; we're very similay in a way. And I'm so happy to inspire my best brah to... (more »)

lackadaisicalwolf said...
I feel like this is about depression because depression seems to trap one in itself and when one tries to escape, they can't and the depression just pulls them back.  However, there are many ways to interpret this poem.  It's very good though :D

Thank you. I love your interpretation as well. It makes me think about this poem every time someone deciphers it in their own way. Thank for the feedback. 

lackadaisicalwolf replied...
You're welcome

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 29, 2013 at 5:32 am
Congratualtions on the Editor's Choice but I'm sure my words are too meagre.  Well,, This was quite some interesting puzzle.. To me it seemed as like a lament of a past misapprehension and fault that somehow someone found out about and then that person became the blackmailing snake and you can't escape the fangs, you're actually trying to appease them somehow,.. because this is something you can't afford to lose.  Hmm? What do you think?

Thank you, Saphira, for the feedback. It isn't meagre. Never. And I love your interpretation of this piece. It's a puzzling one. But I'm happy to see people trying to decipher it. 

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:40 am
Well,,, I sure am glad to hear that. I'm glad :D Love always.

Same here. 

IlovemeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I read in your about me that you wanted critisism but I cannot come up with any! Amazing job :D

Oh, don't worry about it. As long as you share your feedback that's all that matter. Thanks, Iloveme. 

AugustSummerFlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow that was one mystic poem. Kind of the thoughts you get when you think of someone you dread very much but can not cut out of your life. You just have to bear with that person no matter what. Good job :) I like the hazy image it paints in my head

"Mystic"—HAHA ^U^ I like that word to descrbie this poem. I love your interpretation as well. Thanks for taking the time to decipher it; I appreciate that more than anything possible. And that it left an image, albeit hazy, in your mind. Thanks, AugustSummerFling. (I like that name; very creative.) 

Kris_10 said...
This is one of those poems that doesnt have a clear message, but it's a good thing. ususally, an unclear message simple makes the reader confused, but what you managed to do was keep them thinking. Good job!

Thank you. I feared that people would hate this poem due to the unclear—or at least inconspicuous message. I'm very happy it has you thinking about what it truly means. Thanks, Kris. 

Kris_10 replied...
You're welcome!